Electric fan

-

Mick Semantel

Reaction score
I went to a local junk yard and pulled an electric fan off of a 1997 Cougar with the 4.6 motor. They have two settings, low setting is rated at 2500 cmf and the high setting up to 4500 cfm. It measures 22" x 17" x 5". I cant wait to put it on in the spring. Last summer my car got up to 220 degrees while I was ideling in traffic at a car show. I'll let you guys know how it works out later on. The price of the fan was a whopping $13.85.

LOL, Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet deal! Be sure to include pictures!

Ford taurus fan works well too. it is also a 2speed, flows great. i have one on my ranger pickup. My cuda is running a single speed HHR fan which also, no complaints.

Some awesome junkyard fans to be had! Make sure you wire them on relays

Goody, is your's hooked up to a thermostat? I was going to throw a two speed switch on it.

If you want the Ford fans to work really nicely get a Delta Current Controller and hook it to the high speed wire. The fan speed is then fully variable based on the actual cooling requirement. One of the best mods I have on my Barracuda.

If you want the Ford fans to work really nicely get a Delta Current Controller and hook it to the high speed wire. The fan speed is then fully variable based on the actual cooling requirement. One of the best mods I have on my Barracuda.

Sounds like a nice feature. Where would I find something like that?

Well, I went to the web page and found just a blank page. So, I searched around and found notes on several Mustang forums that say the maker, Brian Baskins, hasn't been able to keep up with demand. (He builds them from his house) So he has limited his sales to members of those forums with occasional sales to "outsiders". You can go to this link and send him an e-mail to see what happens. http://www.dccontrol.com/0820.htm I got mine a couple of years ago and it was easy to get at that time. It would seem to be a hassle to get his controller the way he is dealing now but it really is a nice item. When you start the car the fan doesn't come on until radiator temp rises. Then the fan speed increases as water temp increases. Most of the time the fan runs quietly, instead of the low or high speed standard of the fan alone. Since startup is progressive it doesn't give the high amp startup draw like just using relays. ( I was seeing a 30 amp startup draw when using just relays) It also has a yellow wire that can be hooked up to run the fan after engine shutdown until cool, like modern cars. Here's a link that tells a bit more about it. www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7729

Good luck.

Goody, is your's hooked up to a thermostat? I was going to throw a two speed switch on it.

my cuda has a single speed fan hooked to a t-stat switch.

2speed ranger fan is hooked to a t-stat for low and the a/c for high speed. you could get two temp sensors, probably three relays to get it to function on 2 speed correctly. you dont want power to the high and low windings at the same time which is where that third relay could come in.

Here's a good link for wiring with relays.
http://www.s-seriesforum.com/how-to-efan.html
You can search Taurus fan wiring and find a bunch of info. Mine worked OK with relays per the instructions on the above link..... it's just a BUNCH better with the Delta Controller. So if you can get him to sell one I recommend it. It's well worth a few extra bucks. The Taurus fan is capable of moving a LOT of air! The only recommendation for the relay wiring is to go plenty heavy. I wired mine up the first time without looking on the net and used soome generic stereo shop 30 amp relays. It melted a lug and one of the wires going to the relay. So I went and got a couple of Bosch relay kits and decent sized wire, searched the web and did it correctly the second time. I was surprised by the current draw of that Siemens fan motor!

-
Back