Electric fuel pump/ always here it ?

-

DARTDALE

Reaction score
I was wondering if an electric fuel pump always makes a sound ? or will they quiten down so as to not hear them?

I was wondering if an electric fuel pump always makes a sound ? or will they quiten down so as to not hear them?

simple...get louder exhaust!

but seriously, it allways wines, some worse than others. I am sure someone here can tell you a good quiet one.

Phil

Looking forward to some good suggestions on this one.
Mine is noisy and my friends is too.
We dont want to start throwing 100/200 bucks or more at a crack just to try them.
Ours are for EFI, so pressures must be higher and then regulated down to around 55psi.

Yes, any electric pump is loud when mounted outside of the tank. I don't really even hear my holley blue over the exhaust though but I'm damn near deaf from shooting and hot rods though....

Mallory make a gerotor design pump that is quieter than vane pumps but it's not silent and I dont know if they make an EFI pump.

Ahh! They do!
http://www.malloryperformance.com/P...nID=5702&majID=570&selection=6&minselection=1

Like I said though, they are not silent.

I have tried all different rubber insulators, mounting positions,etc.. and have NEVER sussesfully had the pump where you can't hear it.

ramcharger is heading in the right direction. My truck is EFI and the only time I hear that pump is when I first turn the key to start.

I bet its a Holley pump. I was told the Mallory pumps are pretty quite.

Ever see the old movie about trubine engine race car (Fireball 500 i thnk) ? Guy picks up a garbage can and slides it over the engine and 90% of the noise went away. Sound travels in rings. To break the rings up with an egg crate form stops them.
Now comes the fuel pump application... Engineers place the pump in the tank to not only isolate the sound but also disipate the heat. Cover your fuel pump with a egg crate lined coffee can and it will quietly overheat. :(
Find a way to attach finned aluminum heatsink directly to the pump ?
Thats what I would try.

Ditto Redfish's suggestion. In-tank mounting will deaden the sound and cool the pump. Of course, it helps if you're using a pump that fits through the existing hole rather than having to cut your tank open and needing to weld it back up. All pumps I know of that will fit are limited to 500 hp applications.

In-tank pumps can be pretty quiet, and some Mercedeses used an external pump through about 1999 and still weren't too loud. It depends on what pump you get and how you mount it. I'd probably go for an in tank Walboro

I run the Holley black pump going on 4 seasons now(knock on wood) and it is loud,but i like it like that because i know its working :-D

As for street use,I have a edelbrock fuel pump in the rear of the car,and as far as electric pumps go its very low noise,do you here it with every thing off,yes,start the engine and if you have a good exhaust system with a rumble at idle,you here nothing.It supplies good fuel volume and pressure.So far its the best pump I have used in years.mrmopartech

I agree with stroked 340, I kinda like a loud pump, I am running 2 Holley blues and they maked some serios noise.

Yes they make a lil noise and when your running out if fuel they get real loud.
They also don't make use of the 1/16 of a tank or less cause they are pushers not pullers, hence the importance of the location when mounting.

-
Back