electric fuel pump location ?

-

purplescamper

Reaction score
I would like to put a electric fuel pump on my 73 scamp, they tell me the pump has to be lower then the tank....where would a good location be ?

I would like to put a electric fuel pump on my 73 scamp, they tell me the pump has to be lower then the tank....where would a good location be ?

Good luck. This question has been asked on here a few times and it is tough to get a clear answer. Some guys mount them on the frame rail above the rear tire.

Frame rail above rear axle, inboard of the frame rail.

Once it primes (not hard with a fullish tank), the drainback through the lines will keep it primed.

unless you really have to have an electric fuel pump, like for FI, or you have a 600hp engine, do you really need one? I've put an external to tank fuel pump on several vehicles, and I've been disappointed every time. Unless they are inside the tank they're pretty noisy, and if you run low on fuel and go around a clover leaf, you can kill them.

Been running a Holley black pump for 7 years it's mounted to the inside of the pass.side frame rail behind the tire..not one single issue with it,and yes it's loud but that just lets me know it's working:D:D

It's more than worth it when when you want to start your car after sitting for a couple of days and all the gasoline has evaporated from the float bowls. The little noise it makes just verifies that its pumping.

Before I went EFI I mounted mine up and behind the rear axle. Worked fine there Holley red I think. I bought it used

The EFI is a cartridge Walbro, mounted down low out by the spring mount

Use good hose to connect the suction, like maybe EFI hose which is stiffer. Make certain your tank filter sock is not partly plugged.

Watching this thread. My Demon is hard to start after setting a couple days. Would it be advisable to install a remote switch so pump is not always on or would it cause too much of a restriction for the mechanical pump to overcome adequately?
Yote

As close to the tank and as low as possible. Preferably on the inside of one of the rear frame rails.

Is that plain enough?

Put rubber blocks between the pump & frame. Remember fuel pumps push not suck. Put it as close to the tank as possible.

Exaclty how is this done when running a carb and a stock fuel tank?

$$$$$$$$$$$$

As mentioned inside of pass side frame rail works pretty good. Watch out for exhaust pipes when mounting and run as much hard line to the pump as you can.

When priming, I've found it best to not just flip the pump on. Sometimes the needle and seats don't play well and it will flood. Flip on for a few seconds and off, then on again, off, until the line gets fully pressurized. Always a good idea to do it with hood up, air cleaner off to see what's going on. Surprises with fuel suck! :)

there have been several articles in car mags covering this. I believe there are two companies offering retrofit packages for stock tanks. I think there is also some company offering new repro fuel tanks for some (probably the most popular) mopar apps with internal electric fuel pump capability.

Yeah, exactly. The dude loves spendin other peoples' money. It's $$$$$$$ just like crackedback said.

Stick with an inline pump, in the inside of the frame rail as low and as close to the tank as possible. Simple, cheap and effective. Tons of factory applications didit through the years and still do and they had zero problems moving fuel.

You can either listen to those trying to help within a realistic budget, or chase your tail with costly BS.

It's your choice.

I thought the in tank recommendations here were mean to offer a quieter alternative, eliminate most of the noise, but obviously not the cheaper route. I'd rather hear it running, and also double check that it shut off when it gets nice and quiet.

Watching this thread. My Demon is hard to start after setting a couple days. Would it be advisable to install a remote switch so pump is not always on or would it cause too much of a restriction for the mechanical pump to overcome adequately?
Yote
years ago, Carter offered a package with an electric pump, and a mech pump together, so I assume it will work together. Now, whether you could use the electric to refill the lines, turn it off, and then run with just the mechanical, I dunno. I don't think you could pull fuel thru a non-running rotary pump with a mech pump, but like I said, don't know for sure.

I thought the in tank recommendations here were mean to offer a quieter alternative, eliminate most of the noise, but obviously not the cheaper route. I'd rather hear it running, and also double check that it shut off when it gets nice and quiet.

There are plenty of quiet electric pumps.

As long as an electric is designed for carb use, they work fine going through a mechanical pump. Remember, pressure of a mech pump is maintained by the spring in the pump and not the cam. When a mech gets up to pressure, IE at idle with needle and seat closed, the lever "floats" on the cam. Same thing with an electric driving it

A high pressure pump is a different story.

I never liked the Carter motor drive pumps, or maybe I got a bad one. I had one of the first when they came out in the early 70's. Damn thing did not prime itself worth a hoot. Maybe if I'd shot a bit of light oil in there it would have.

Yeah, exactly. The dude loves spendin other peoples' money. It's $$$$$$$ just like crackedback said.

Stick with an inline pump, in the inside of the frame rail as low and as close to the tank as possible. Simple, cheap and effective. Tons of factory applications didit through the years and still do and they had zero problems moving fuel.

You can either listen to those trying to help within a realistic budget, or chase your tail with costly BS. ^
ur choice.
**** ^
^
------------------------------------THIS POST !------------------- If u build enough h.p., u can`t hear the pump anyway ! LOL I have had 4 diff hot rods , all had inline pumps, never had a problem w/ them. Just make sure there is enough fuel being available to it !

Tanks Inc. Everything you need except lines for around $500 bucks. Think about it. Every new car made since God knows has had an in tank pump.
Reliable, dependable, and quiet.

-
Back