Electric fuel pump questions

-

dru34

Reaction score
Hey guys just bought this scamp and the previous owner installed an electric fuel pump, can anybody identifiy the brand of pump also does this setup look correct, thanks in advanced.View attachment image.jpg

That filter may not be rated for suction use, and plastic for a filter is not a good idea.

The thing about a filter in the suction side, is that you are talking about a VERY low pressure differential. That is, whatever the pump generates in vacuum, and any restriction can starve the pump and cause problems, not the least of which is loss of prime and vapor lock.

Make sure the hose is "fuel injected rated" which has stiffer reinforcements. Cheaper hose can collapse under suction, especially when bent

That filter may not be rated for suction use, and plastic for a filter is not a good idea.

The thing about a filter in the suction side, is that you are talking about a VERY low pressure differential. That is, whatever the pump generates in vacuum, and any restriction can starve the pump and cause problems, not the least of which is loss of prime and vapor lock.

Make sure the hose is "fuel injected rated" which has stiffer reinforcements. Cheaper hose can collapse under suction, especially when bent

Thanks for the info, would you suggest moving the pump somewhere else?

the pump looks like it is mounted high but that is for carbed motors with the electric fuel pumps they are to be mounted as close to the bottom of the tank this is suppose to make the draw of the fuel easier

Some guys mount them further to the rear and below the tank. Frankly, it would probably work fine in that location, but I'd bend up a length of steel tube to minimize the rubber hose.

Del is there a good type filter you would recommend on the suction side?

I was just wondering if anybody has been able to identify this pump, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also would I need to run a return line with this setup please any help would be great.

not sure what the pump is, it looks kind of like a carter but with out haveing a really hard to tell

Del is there a good type filter you would recommend on the suction side?

I sure don't know. Some of the replacable cartridge stuff is low restriction. I've got one used with the Holley injection systems (just one external pump) have to see if I can find the part no. But it's a throwaway.

So do I need to still run a fuel return line? or not worry about it?

More important than being close to the tank is being as low as the tank, so near the front leaf spring perch would be a better spot. Indeed, I put my EFI pumps in the engine bay, on the side of the frame rail. A much more accessible spot, and the fuel flows out freely there at a high rate, so doesn't restrict the flow, however on a steep San Francisco hill it might starve the pump, but mine are Walbro which really suck, literally to 5 ft. Your pump looks like the $40 diesel/gas pumps sold on ebay. I think they are for carburetor pressures, though some diesels like 12 psi from the "lift pump", in which case you might need a regulator in front of the carb to drop to ~5 psi.

Usually, inline fuel pumps like that are for fuel injection. If it is, it's probably pretty high pressure. Does your car have a regulator? The only way to know for sure is put a gauge on it. Because like Bill said it does look like those pumps he's talking about as well. I would replace it with something like a gearotor pump from Mallory. A little costly, but you will have a known GOOD pump.

And yes, a fuel return is a great idea. There are a couple different advantages. First, it lessens the load on the pump a lot. It will last longer. Reducing the load on the pump also makes it run much quieter. The fuel will be in a constant circle and will be cooler because it is not simply sitting in the lines and carburetor heating up waiting to be burned in the engine. I think a good return system is one of the most important things in any fuel system, regardless of which type pump. Although people right here on this forum have argued me down on that point, let them argue, I stand my ground on it.

I doubt it is an EFI pump because those are positive displacement type and require a return, which you don't have. Also, I know of only 3 types of external EFI pumps - Ford truck (thin, long, fittings both ends, plastic bulge at connectors and threaded plastic inlet), Walbro (similarly thin & long w/ fittings both ends, no exposed plastic), and Bosch "fat boy" (large tube inlet, usually banjo check valve fitting on outlet, Euro cars). The one exception I know is that a Holley rotary-vane pump (blue) can be made to work w/ TBI (18 psi spring upgrade kit) and has an internal return.

I agree that a return is a good idea for a carb, and that will also make you EFI-ready. BTW, EFI cars don't require returning all the way from the fuel rail (engine), anywhere after the pump works. You won't get vapor at 50+ psi. Indeed, all 2002+ cars have such a return-less system, by EPA mandate.

Curious, since he does not say what carb he is running. If its a aftermarket carb how do you plumb in a return line?

The carb has nothing to do with the return. Use a Wix 33040 - 5/16 - or 33041- 3/8 - filter, which has a built in 1/4 return port

...............You were probably thinking of the vapor canister fuel bowl vent line

318enVkNS5L._SY300_.jpg

Sure it can. It depends on where the return is plumed.

The carb has nothing to do with the return. Use a Wix 33040 - 5/16 - or 33041- 3/8 - filter, which has a built in 1/4 return port

...............You were probably thinking of the vapor canister fuel bowl vent line

318enVkNS5L._SY300_.jpg

Ahh gotcha! I have seen those before, so does the return line go back and dump into the tank?

Yes. On my 67 I just silver brazed an extra fitting into the front face of the tank. Took my MIG bottle and pumped the tank full of CO2 after draining it.

-
Back