electric fuel pump safety

-

Vitamin c

Vitamin c
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What are your guys opinions on running an elec. fuel pump without the safety of an oil presure switch? it seems unsafe to me to just wire it in with the key switch. I have both a new high performace carter manual, and a new Holley blue pump. Im having a 408 assembled and the machine shop says go electric. what are your thoughts

What are your guys opinions on running an elec. fuel pump without the safety of an oil presure switch? it seems unsafe to me to just wire it in with the key switch. I have both a new high performace carter manual, and a new Holley blue pump. Im having a 408 assembled and the machine shop says go electric. what are your thoughts

Ask your self what your trying to do. If wiring in an oil pressure switch to kill the electric fuel pump if you loose oil pressure is your intent, remember your going to have to by pass it on start up. You also said your running a mechanical pump, that pump will cancel out anything your trying to accomplish with the pressure switch to the electric pump.

I'm using just an electric pump wired thru a relay and run thru a toggle that is only hot with the key on, but has to be turned on to energize the pump.
Just my 2 cents.

I run both. Electric through a toggle.

my plan is to run the manual or the electric, not both. I understand your setup, but im not sure i would have to run a bypass switch if the fuel bowls were full on start up. once the engine fired, the pump would kick on. the wiring schematic is printed with a oil switch in the Holley instructions,and even gives a Holley part #. I guess my question is, how many people run an oil preasure switch? it seems unsafe if you had an accident or a fuel line rupture, that pump would keep pumping.

Define "both" a manual and electric? i think i would run a presure switch and no toggle. im assuming your pump toggle is in the ON position whenever the engine is running.
I run both. Electric through a toggle.

I run a mechanical and an electric. If I want to get into it rerious I flip the toggle to run electric. Cruisin I just use mechanical. I got a routong diagram from Napa. It is for a motor home application. It's an old school move.

I ran a electric fuel pump with the oil pressure switch and There was no issues with starting just wiring it in line. Oil pressure comes up so quick it's a mute point.

well it looks like everyone is doing it a little different. I guess its just personal preference. Myself, i think i will try and use a presure switch. i think the added safety is worth it. I would hate to burn up a car i just spent a ton of cash on, and a year building.

ever consider an inertia switch along with the oil pressure switch?

ok this may sound stupid but is there anyway you can put both but run on the manual pump then have a pressure swith in the fuel line so that if your fuel pressure goes low the elec. will come on and also install at flow switch that if a line brakes it will read to much fuel flow and shut down the elec pump??? hey just asking

A good high pressure electric pump with a return system will always be able to supply more fuel than a manual pump.

The idea of running an oil pressure switch to shut off the pump if you loose oil pressure sounds like a good idea, but it won't protect the engine from damage if you loose oil pressure since the engine will still run till the fuel in the bowls is gone.

I would run the oil pressure switch though your ignition. Then if you loose oil pressure, the engine will shut off instantly. You could have a hidden switch under the dash to bypass it for start up, this would also work for theft protection. MSD boxes actually have a wire for ignition shut off.

well, my understanding and thoughts are that the oil pressure switch is not there to protect the engine from damage, but to protect you and your car in the event of an accident or a ruptured fuel line. The engine stops, so does the fuel.
A good high pressure electric pump with a return system will always be able to supply more fuel than a manual pump.

The idea of running an oil pressure switch to shut off the pump if you loose oil pressure sounds like a good idea, but it won't protect the engine from damage if you loose oil pressure since the engine will still run till the fuel in the bowls is gone.

I would run the oil pressure switch though your ignition. Then if you loose oil pressure, the engine will shut off instantly. You could have a hidden switch under the dash to bypass it for start up, this would also work for theft protection. MSD boxes actually have a wire for ignition shut off.

well, my understanding and thoughts are that the oil pressure switch is not there to protect the engine from damage, but to protect you and your car in the event of an accident or a ruptured fuel line. The engine stops, so does the fuel.
i think you are thinking about (?) an inertia switch. an inertia switch will shut the fuel pump off in the event of an accident. an oil pressure switch will shut the pump off only if for some reason you lose oil pressure. just because you get in an accident does not mean you motor will shut off causing no oil pressure.....as far as if you have a ruptured fuel line, i think what you will need is a flow switch, not sure what it is really called. i have a buddy who sets up aquariums and has used these in the past, i will try to get a hold of him.....

i know that newer cars have the inertia switch, but i was just going by what Holley recomends in the installation instructions. If you look at the wiring diagram in the instructions, they use a 3 pole switch that puts power to the pump during engine cranking, so you have fuel for starting.

-
Back