electric fuel pump

-

71RALLYEDART

Reaction score
I know most electric pumps are designed to push fuel, but are there any special ones that will pull. I have a location for one in the engine compartment. It would just save alot of time to do it this way. It is a 340 mostly for street use.

I ran a summit branded fuel pump(same as holley) in my car for awhile in the engine bay. It worked pretty well, but it was very loud. At a stop light i could hear it over the sound of aar cuda style exhaust.

I ran a summit branded fuel pump(same as holley) in my car for awhile in the engine bay. It worked pretty well, but it was very loud. At a stop light i could hear it over the sound of aar cuda style exhaust.
thats why i put mine at the very back ofthe car.you can still hear it.....

I'll tell ya.............I just don't see the idea of a front mount electric pump. The entire advantage of a rear mount pump is to NOT have the supply tube UNDER VACUUM which promotes vapor lock/ fuel boiling.

Even in my lame, arthritic years of coming up on 65, I was able to mount a rear pump and wire it up in an "extended" morning. And I move pretty slowly and deliberately, nowadays.

I'm not running EFI, but when I had the Ed 6xx cfm on the car, the smartest things I did was to use a rear mount pump, a carb insulator, and hook up a vapor return with the Wix 33040/41 filter.

I have run an EFI pump in the engine bay in my 65 Newport for 15 years. Originally, I put it in the rear, per the Holley Pro-jection manual, and it caused problems plus a lot of noise under the rear seat. It doesn't need to suck, the fuel runs out at a fast rate if you disconnect the tube, certainly enough flow to keep the pump inlet at positive pressure. That is with a 5/16" tube. In my 65 Dart, I put a Walbro pump at the same basic location, but with a 3/8" supply tube. In both, I use a simple carburetor-type filter on the suction side. One guy here researched the question with Walbro, who said their pumps can suck up to 5 ft elevation, which you would never require. Search for posts. His is the one with 3 parallel Walbro's.

One guy here researched the question with Walbro, who said their pumps can suck up to 5 ft elevation, which you would never require. Search for posts. His is the one with 3 parallel Walbro's.
I believe you are referencing "MadDart" and his twin turbo build.

I'll tell ya.............I just don't see the idea of a front mount electric pump. The entire advantage of a rear mount pump is to NOT have the supply tube UNDER VACUUM which promotes vapor lock/ fuel boiling.

Even in my lame, arthritic years of coming up on 65, I was able to mount a rear pump and wire it up in an "extended" morning. And I move pretty slowly and deliberately, nowadays.

I'm not running EFI, but when I had the Ed 6xx cfm on the car, the smartest things I did was to use a rear mount pump, a carb insulator, and hook up a vapor return with the Wix 33040/41 filter.

I will say, mounting the pump rearward "SEEMS" like a giant pita, but its relatively easy. Drill a couple of holes, use some self tapping bolts, measure for necessary wire(add an extra foot or two) and get some protective loom. go to with it.

Bad440- That sucks, i wont even mention how quiet my walboro 255 is compared to that carb pump.

I will say, mounting the pump rearward "SEEMS" like a giant pita, but its relatively easy. Drill a couple of holes, use some self tapping bolts, measure for necessary wire(add an extra foot or two) and get some protective loom. go to with it.

Bad440- That sucks, i wont even mention how quiet my walboro 255 is compared to that carb pump.
yeah i put a stereo system ao ny oldlady wouldnt go crazy from the constant buzz......

If you want great performace without the noise of the holley pump try an A1000 aeromotive pump.

except that pump costs over 300.00 and i cant afford that.

True... Try ebay. There is on on there now for 200$..

You can get them pretty close to 300 new. I bought mine from summit. They have 6 month payment plan.

The one theory I subscribe to with my toys is to only buy it once. A A1000 is the last pump you'll buy and you'll never outgrow it.

except that pump costs over 300.00 and i cant afford that.

Or look at a Fuelab pump.

please check back here after you check the price of those,you might get traumatised...the aeromotive is cheap in comparison..

For most people, a standard EFI pump will work fine. If it maintains the proper pressure at the injectors (~55 psi), that is all you need and a bigger pump will just waste energy and unnecessarily heat the fuel, not to mention dinging your wallet hard. If using TBI, you only need ~20 psi and even pumps for 4 cyl engines usually work fine. I recently bought 2 new Walbro pumps for Euro cars (Bosch Jetronic) on ebay for only $15 ea. I'll use for TBI in my BB.

-
Back