Electric fuel pump

-

ram250098

69 Barracuda
Reaction score
I have this fuel pump in the Demon and was wondering if anyone can name the brand? It does not have any marking on it.
Also it seems to be really loud when running. Are these supposed to make a fair bit of noise when operating or could mine be on the way out.
The mechanical pump is still in the block and I am unsure if it still works, has anyone hooked up a vacuum gauge to a pump and if so what should I be looking at for pressure.
Thanks
AL

001.jpg

Sure looks like a Summit pump to me. I don't understand why it's mounted between the carb and the mechanical pump though, it really doesn't make any sense.

FWIW, my Summit pump lasted about 2 hours. And yes, most all vane type pumps are very loud.

The mechanical pump is there just not hooked up. I am really not a fan of electric pumps. The last owner said he had a large carb on the car and the mech pump was feeding enough gas to it so he swapped it for the electric. Which is why I was wondering if there is a way to check to see if the mech pump was working as well as it should before I swap all the hoses.
AL

You could take two equal size jars/cans of fuel and put a hose on each end of the pump. Fill one jar/can half full. If it pumps from one to the other, you're good to go.

If you're concerned about about pressure, only a gauge between the pump and carb will help you there.

First time I've ever seen an electric fuel pump mounted in the engine compartment. Everything I've ever heard or read says they're supposed to be mounted as close to the fuel tank as possible since they're much more efficient 'pushing' rather than 'pulling'.
Yeah, they are loud - but that's all part of what you're trying to 'say' to the guy in the next lane about your car.
Also, was your alternator rattle-can painted? Pic looks like the housing and internal windings were all painted.

First time I've ever seen an electric fuel pump mounted in the engine compartment. Everything I've ever heard or read says they're supposes to be mounted as close to the fuel tank as possible since they're much more efficient 'pushing' rather than 'pulling'.

'Zactly!

First time I've ever seen an electric fuel pump mounted in the engine compartment. Everything I've ever heard or read says they're supposes to be mounted as close to the fuel tank as possible since they're much more efficient 'pushing' rather than 'pulling'.
Yeah, they are loud - but that's all part of what you're trying to 'say' to the guy in the next lane about your car.
Also, was your alternator rattle-can painted? Pic looks like the housing and internal windings were all painted.

OCdart maybe the fuel cell is in the front seat.

Thanks guys I think I will try the jars idea. I had that alt for years sitting in a box can't remember which car it came with. I was having some charging issues so I put it on the see if the other alt was toast, nice to have spares even if they are bright red LOL.
Thanks again
AL

They are loud and I would relocate it inside the framerail as close to the tank as possible. It will last much longer.

take this pump off, and start over. First of all, it is mounted upside down. It should be mounted close to and below the fuel tank. Lookes like you have a kink in the line and you may need a regulator.

also it needs a filter before it, dont want a little piece of junk from fuel tank to get in there and mess it up..

mine will be mounted in the rear below the fuel tank, one filter before pump then one filter before carb. also do you have a relay setup for it?

I plan to get rid of thing, it was set up this way when I got the car. I can't stand the noise this thing makes and even if I move it it will still be loud. Thanks for the replies..this thing is hitting the trash LOL
AL

-
Back