Electric power steering

-
Next your going to need to take apart the equinox column you well need the motor off it, input coupler and mount from the column, see pic where to cut the larger Od of the equinox tube fits inside the mopar steering column perfectly so I cut it at the largest part and hammer the inner flange in which is part of the equinox collapseible column then weld from inside then I drilled holes in the dodge column spot welded the mount in there, I wouldn’t weld it until you set it all up and have the clocking of the eps motor where you want it

B6B57B9A-9C1B-4344-A180-DE7BD9EA5F81.jpeg

650F9A32-F720-4DE3-BEB4-95CB014235F1.jpeg

E85F43A0-AD97-45F1-A0EA-C13671240EC9.jpeg

After this is done your motor will be
Mounted to your column, next take your 3/4” shaft and grind a double d on it to fit the flaming river u joint and weld the 16.5 mm coupler on the other end, the total length of this shaft should be 19.5” from shaft end to top of coupler total, sorry I don’t have exact length to cut shaft. Then you will take your 3/4” bearing and mount it to your factory firewall plate you may have to weld the hole smaller to make it fit depending on what bearing you use, after this you should be able to bolt it in to make sure everything fits how it should

4685DAC3-E94F-4D13-BF8D-4B00A4241572.jpeg

6BCE7315-B08F-4FCC-AB25-4BA0028EA9B5.jpeg

67B77949-8C84-4C13-964F-0F22A6CCEAB5.jpeg

Take the equinox input coupler and cut it so you have all the factory splines on it and with a 3/4” bit drill it about 1/2” down creating a weldable coupler, you will have to do a little bit of figuring on where to cut your factory steering column shaft it should be 7 3/4” long from the bottom of the steering wheel lock plate to the end of the equinox coupler, I would test fit before welding to make sure, also make sure this is welded straight or your steering wheel will wobble, then reassemble column

C7954C2D-ED09-4959-9042-D76FB64860EB.jpeg

A7597A6D-FBCE-469E-83FC-74D758FA56A0.jpeg

42D22C12-2578-43B0-9199-0FA69A7C02A3.jpeg

Wiring the modual is easy it plugs into the equinox unit and has a keyed power to hook up and a ground, then 2 wires 10ga to the battery, it comes with instructions and they also can sell it to you with a dial to adjust resistance, although I heard the dial doesn’t change much it also has a wire on it that you can put to ground and it as well is suppposed to reduce resistance but didn’t seem to change much when I tried. As for driving and road feel my car is far away from being on the road so I can’t say as to how this system works on the road, so if someone tries it let me know I would love to hear.

Next off I had to modify the brake pedals to clear to box on the eps unit, I found out after that you can move this box by taking it off and building a wiring harness, I do believe you shouldn’t have to touch the pedals if you do this, someone let me know if you try it this way, so I do t have much infor on what I did to the pedals except a couple pics and they are also moded for a hyd clutch, I essently cut off the rear support that goes to the column mount and used cardboard pieces for templates and made until it all worked lol

61E9147A-FED1-44F1-B04B-7C611A1B3EDB.jpeg

A70F431C-5855-4E2B-8467-CC00E0E52548.jpeg

C80E57EB-64D9-424E-85D2-F8F62EF5FC8A.jpeg

Thank you for the write up! I think I am going to take this thread and this thread and combine them. According to this thread, a control box isn't needed as they still work in fail safe mode and the units appear to be very close in size.

This one will not work in fail safe mode those are generally the Toyota ones

Good to know. The thread I linked has the ones listed that work in fail safe. He builds it for a falcon, tho. The Toyota should work the same but be a little easier since the ecu is already remote mounted.

What size is the exinox steering shaft?

Good to know. The thread I linked has the ones listed that work in fail safe. He builds it for a falcon, tho. The Toyota should work the same but be a little easier since the ecu is already remote mounted.

What size is the exinox steering shaft?

The equinox and Saturn Vue I believe are the same as long as they both have the metal box on them, the output is 16.5mm, but not exactly sure what size the input is, I know the input is a coarser spline then the output. I was originally going to try the Toyota one but couldn’t really find much info on it and was worried it wasn’t going to steer as easy. But I hope someone tries as I’d like to know

Looking at the one thread it looks like the Nissan Versa is almost identical to the equinox one I used but has the remote ecu, you could probably install that one very similar to the way I did mine with little to no changes If I where to do it again I would probably try that one.

Thank you for this! I’m going to start collecting parts for this, as I plan this for a winter project

-
Back