Electric Vacuum Pump

-

Waco Demon

Reaction score
Has any one installed a electric vacuum pump for low vacuum and what kind
Waco Demon Thank you

No, but I have considered one, mainly for my M-B diesels if the engine driven vac pump fails (expensive). You can find used electric ones for newer diesels (V-W, M-B, Audi, ...) on ebay for ~$50. These are used for their power brakes and mount in the engine bay. Ignore the smaller ones for door locks (mount in trunk). You can also pay ~$350 for a new one for after-market.

Has any one installed a electric vacuum pump for low vacuum and what kind
Waco Demon Thank you

Put one on my '37 Ford Coupe with a BBC because I had low vacuum. The pump was so darn nosey I took it off and sold it at a swap meet. I changed to a hydraboost unit that runs off of the power steering unit. Car stops on a dime, you might consider that.

Here's a picture of a hydraboost in my Dart.

View attachment IMG_0674.jpg

Has any one installed a can along with a pump to let vacuum pressure to build up so the pump will shut off
Waco Demon

I used one on the Charger I had. It worked ok, but felt it didnt have enough "volume" for the pedal to feel right. I had a canister I was going to add to see if that helped add any volume to the system but sold car before I got around to it. Pump will only work to hold vacuum, or when the brakes need more vacuum so its not constantly on. But they are sorta noisy when they do- sounds just like a 12v air compressor if you've ever used those for your tires.

I dont recall the brand, but it was one of the main brands you see if you search google.

Noisy... dont add that much vacuum assist. Not worth the time or money....

Hydraboost or manual brakes with matching master and calipers.

-
Back