electrical motor wizards

-

Louie70Dart

Southern IL. Complete opposite of k-town
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Picked up an older Craftsman drill press that runs on 110VAC. Stand and everything looks great. Problem is the motor doesn't run, just hear a click when you turn it on. I got it for $20. Friday, I took the belt off the motor and it spins freely and it will run with help, I spin it then turn it on. Today, Sunday, I went out and pulled the motor off, and split the case. There is a capacitor for starting the motor. No obvious signs of cap being bad, not bulging or smelly, no deformation. Now, how do I check this cap with a volt/ohm meter? I know I could just get another motor with the same rating as the one on there, but I like to tinker and if the cap is bad, why not just replace that? Thanks.

Could be either the cap or the start switch. Some multimeters have a cap checking feature and some do not.

You cannot really check a cap with a "straight" multimeter without a specialized cap checking feature, but you CAN get 'an idea.' This was easier, "back in the day" with analog meters, which used higher voltage batteries for the higher resistance ranges.

Start by trying you your meter on X100. If the cap has a bleeder resistor across the terminals, you'll have to disconnect it.

Hook up the leads, the meter (if it has an analog bar scale) should start out low and go up high in resistance. The higher the capacity of the cap, the longer this takes. If it shoots up instantly, it might be an "open" cap. This is hard to describe without having some caps to try, of similar value

If it "hangs" at a fairly low reading, it is leaky or shorted.

You might be able to manually manipulate the centrifugal start switch and check the contacts with your meter.

The cheapo meter I have will read microfarads, 2 ranges, 200 and 2k. nothing happens on the meter, stays at zero. When I check resistance, that is where I get the increasing resistance. Cap is rated at 378-454 MFD

Came from either radio shack or hft. not sure. Not the greatest cause I won't need a real good one for what I do.

Attachments

• cheapo meter.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 171
Poo, LOL. Turns out there is different versions of those. Did I misunderstand? Is there actually a cap check scale(s)? A better photo would help

Found these, neither has a cap scale Best you can do is use the 20K or 200K resistance scale

Small-multimeter.jpg

DT830B_d.jpg

JMHO but change the capacitor and be done with it. Could have a centrifugal crossover from start to run but if it wont start it is most likely the start capacitor. Good luck!
:coffee2:

JMHO but change the capacitor and be done with it. Could have a centrifugal crossover from start to run but if it wont start it is most likely the start capacitor. Good luck!
:coffee2:

In some areas caps ain't all that easy to get, "quick." It could just as easily be the switch.

Centrifugal crossover. I think it has that. Here is the picture of the meter. HFT, basic freebie. I don't plan on getting to the moon with this. LOL Only difference is mine is yellow and nothing but digital multimeter on it.

Attachments

• multimeter.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 163
I checked the switch, 0.00 continuity, so that checks. Not the contacts, maybe they are bad? Looked online, Sears replacement motor is over $300.....LOL. I can get a cap through grainger. MFD is 378-454, grainger has one 378-455. Around $12.00 and looks to be in stock. But if that isn't the problem, then I spent money I didn't need to. The search continues.....LOL

Here it is. Pic of model and s/n.

Attachments

• WP_20150817_002.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 105
Upon further research LouieDart,

Found the series,
same motor used in drill press/band saw/table saw/ planer...

What I could not find was an application specific wiring diagram...
Could be...
Cap start,
Repulsion start,
Resistance start,
Split cap start....
All the above 'classes' have been incorporated into 'Sears builds'...

I'm with DesetRat on this one...
" JMHO but change the capacitor and be done with it."

My reasoning is simple, this is a low end machine, = low end cap start controls :D

Post the repair validation !!! inquiring minds want to know !

Looking at replacement parts, things are limited at best. Not many available.

If you're not in a hurry there is a good chance that I can come up with that cap, will drop it in the mail for free, let me know. Nothing wrong with shotgunning here, can't make it worse. BTW 67Dart273 it's so cool hearing someone who knows about old school troubleshooting!!!

Old trick charge the cap with a 9v battery for a few seconds then see if it sparks when grounded out or check it with a volt meter and see a dc spike.

Looking at replacement parts, things are limited at best. Not many available.

Louie, start caps are generic, pretty much. Just get at least the voltage rating, and "in the range" of capacitance.

Here is an excerpt from Mouser Electronics. I've ordered from them, last time about a year ago. They are VERY easy to deal with, and don't have a minimum order

www.mouser.com/ds/2/88/PSU-24058.pdf

You can also check out I would guess Ebay Graingers, and if you are in any kind of decent town, a refrigeration / HVAC supply if they will sell you retail. Johnstone Supply, but last I knew, "wholesale only."

You can check the resistance on x100 and let the meter slowly raise on the scale and then reverse the leads and see if it pegs in the other direction quickly. This is not a true test but will give you an idea if it doesn't respond. The meter actiually puts a charge into the capacitor and then when you reverse the meter leads it dsicharges. If bthe motor will run after you turn the shaft quickly to get it started -it's either the capacitor or the start winding in the motor..

Yeah, graingers is where I find the close replacement. And the resistance slowly climbed the one way when I checked resistance, like less that 30 seconds? Shoot, I have an old dish washer I'm not using, it runs. Maybe look to see if that motor is close to what is in the drill press? But not until I get my deck back together. Thanks everyone!

Not all motors have any caps at all, some have only run caps, some have only start caps, and some have both.

-
Back