Electrical ??

-
My son put a new alt today now I have 15 volts going to the battery I have ground strap missing.So I will be adding a new one tomorrow.

Good news Cliff! Ground cable or ground strap?? If its a ground strap, you could use spare wire if its a decent size maybe??

Good news Cliff! Ground cable or ground strap?? If its a ground strap, you could use spare wire if its a decent size maybe??

I have a new ground strap so I will be adding it tomorrow

Steve FABO is my home the other site you just posted really isn't for tech support

My voltage regulator did a melt down yesterday, my son put on a new voltage regulator,new alternator belt since the old one was stretched so far out there was no adjustment. I left to go pick up my son a little while ago everything was nice and bright. When I stopped outside the building where he was at I noticed everything got dim and so did the engine (this kept cycling like this until it was under load). The belt was tighten properly nice and tight with about a 1/4 in play in it. Any idea's of what it could be?

Thats pretty common with old Mopars. They dont charge well at idle. You can upgrade to a GM alt or later Chrysler Denso style alt. Also bypassing the ammeter gauge helps.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

Thats pretty common with old Mopars. They dont charge well at idle. You can upgrade to a GM alt or later Chrysler Denso style alt. Also bypassing the ammeter gauge helps.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

Adam I have a new 114 amp alternator,new voltage regulator. The amp bypass is next starting tomorrow along with a factory tach set up. The GM Alt looks like the next if this bypass doesn't work.

OTR you should not have the "ammeter bypass" problem. According to my '74 book (in which the wiring is considerably more complicated than earlier models) your ammeter wires should ALREADY be coming out of the firewall in a separate grommet from the bulkhead connector.

THIS DOES NOT, however, cure the problem of voltage drop through the ignition harness

OTR you should not have the "ammeter bypass" problem. According to my '74 book (in which the wiring is considerably more complicated than earlier models) your ammeter wires should ALREADY be coming out of the firewall in a separate grommet from the bulkhead connector.

THIS DOES NOT, however, cure the problem of voltage drop through the ignition harness

I don't have a voltage drop. I am running with too high of a voltage instead of 13.5 volts I am putting 15 volts into the battery.

Steve FABO is my home the other site you just posted really isn't for tech support

If so then maybe some of the members over there should think of emotional as well as financial support that has been graciously donated to them from great fabo members?? Just a thought.

-
Back