Electrical ??

-
I don't have a voltage drop. I am running with too high of a voltage instead of 13.5 volts I am putting 15 volts into the battery.

"Voltage drop" is OFTEN what CAUSES this problem, here is how this works

===========================================================

FIRST

Depending on the car the wiring, the circuit path for the "ignition run" wire is:

Battery---fuse link---bulkhead--ammeter circuit---welded splice in the under dash harness---ignition switch connector---through the switch--back out the switch connector (on the "ignition run" or "IGN 1" wire) -- back through the bulkhead -- to the

ignition system

alternator field

AND REGULATOR IGN terminal.

Now I intentionally separated "stuff" up above with dashed lines. Every single object separated by dashed lines IS A SUSPECT for "voltage drop":

from the battery ---through all that---to the regulator IGN terminal.

WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT!!!??? You really should actually read a few of my posts, this has been addressed.

IF THIS chain, this circuit path, has a bad switch, loose connections, corrosion, the LOAD current put on this "ignition run" wire causes a VOLTAGE DROP between the BATTERY and the REGULATOR

Now, the regulator IGN terminal does MORE than "just power the regulator," it is also the VOLTAGE SENSING wire.

Every last bit of voltage drop, whether it is .1 (one tenth) or 1 (one volt) is ADDED to the regulator set point. This means that if the regulator is PROPERLY attempting to regulate at 13.8--14.2, and you have X drop in the harness, this voltage drop IS ADDED to the battery charging voltage.

============================================================

SECOND

The next part of the equation is (again with the voltage drop) DROP, VOLTAGE between the battery NEG terminal and the REGULATOR GROUND

If the regulator is not truly grounded to the battery, then "it" works just like harness drop, above. ANY drop between the NEG side of the regulator and the battery NEG is ALSO added to the charging voltage, just like above

=============================================================

To sum this all up. What are the main causes of overcharging?

1----Bad regulator, actually fairly rare. Most regulators either work or they don't

2---Voltage drop in the ignition harness/ charging line

3--Voltage drop in the regulator ground

4--In some cases a bad battery can cause this. Easily checked by simply swapping in a known good battery.

Well Adam if you had made a post or introduction you would not have gotten banned I also banned 2 other spammers that day.

Spammer dont sign up with names related to Mopars. I did notice a few other names listed as not being allowed on your web site too. Its not easy being fair and making everyone happy is it. Wait till you have 30,000 members to please.

Tell the guys Im not butt hurt at all. Though if your going to ban anyone that doesnt post you have another 20 members to ban.

Spammer dont sign up with names related to Mopars. I did notice a few other names listed as not being allowed on your web site too. Its not easy being fair and making everyone happy is it. Wait till you have 30,000 members to please.

Tell the guys Im not butt hurt at all. Though if your going to ban anyone that doesnt post you have another 20 members to ban.

I think I must agree with Adam on this. Don't lose your hat Adam. I don't believe they should be deleted just because they DON'T post. 20% of fabo would be scraped

I think you would be surprised how many people dont post for sometime after signing up. No hard feelings here. back on subject.

Adam you are more than welcome to come there to BS no hard feeling on my part either. I am still learning how to do this

Back on topic. I went to O'reillys to recheck things since I don't have the equipment to do so. while there I managed to burn 2 fusible links and a coil to ballast resistor.My son got it re wired temporarily. And Friday I will go through and soldier all the connections and shrink wrap it all for good protection. Right now I have it down to 14.8 volts so I am on the right track I think.

Cliff, send 67dart273 a pm and exchange phone numbers. I was on the phone with him for about 5-10 minutes and figured out dads alt issue. Its very tough and frustrating to "translate" elec issues by typing...

Cliff, send 67dart273 a pm and exchange phone numbers. I was on the phone with him for about 5-10 minutes and figured out dads alt issue. Its very tough and frustrating to "translate" elec issues by typing...

Thanks Steve,I will try to do that if I don't forget.

Here is some of what I have been working through it's kind of weird I never seen this in a factory harness.
This is on my 78 Cordoba. I have never seen anything like this in car this is a electrical Log on my driver side fender on. Which has all my fusible links and a couple of other wires solder into it. The question I have is this factory or did someone do this? Yes the wires are soldered into this log and shrink wraped,then taped

100_4384-600_zps9dba5bc0.jpg

100_4383-600_zpsc73daa91.jpg

Hey Cliff, someone added those, they are a new style fuse, PLUS the dark green one is 30 amp. That is frickin heavy duty!!

Hey Cliff, someone added those, they are a new style fuse, PLUS the dark green one is 30 amp. That is frickin heavy duty!!

Yeah I added them. But look at the picture past the electrical tape and you will see the log that everything is spliced into

Yeah I added them. But look at the picture past the electrical tape and you will see the log that everything is spliced into

Oh ok Cliff, Im not sure if its factory or not. Be careful bout the 30A fuse..depending on what its for, you may melt some wires/cause a fire!

Oh ok Cliff, Im not sure if its factory or not. Be careful bout the 30A fuse..depending on what its for, you may melt some wires/cause a fire!

I am thinking about changing the fuses to 15 amps since they replaced 2 fusible links. But that log has me bugged I have never seen anything like it, and I am curious to know if I get rid of it and put the correct wire in?

Well it has been a while since I updated this thread. We found the ecu harness was bad,so it has been replaced everything checked out with proper reading according to my fsm electrical book.

Since it takes me time to do stuff on my good days my son helped me today on checking the ignition switch inside the column. We were not happy with what we found. Here are a few pictures of the ignition switch and we put a new one in. But we're not done yet there is still a lot more to check out.

The old ignition switch was cut and spliced together. So with the new one we will be making sure all the wires where they need to be. It's a shame what some people will do to get a car running.

Attachments

• 100_4649-600.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 100_4650-600.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 88
  • 100_4651-600.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 82
At least they used connectors! Rofl I think the wiring in the doba is starting to look like my dodge! Must have belonged to a truck driver like mine was

-
Back