Electronic ignition question...

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I just rebuilt my engine, and I have a points system.
I would like to transfer it to electric ignition but since it hasn't started yet, would it be better to get it to run with the points set up first before I switch it to make sure it's running first?

Also, there are so many brands... MSD, Mopar, Mallory, Pertronix, Summit brand. Is there one that is preferred? Does it even really matter? Which brand coil to go with it?

Thanks much!!!

It depends on the application. Here's my take on the different options' strengths and weaknesses.

Mopar: Pretty much a stock type or mildly hotter ignition, good if you want a factory appearance. Seems the quality of newer orange boxes has gone downhill a bit though.

Pertronix: Cheap, easy to install, power output is comparable to stock.

HEI: Somewhat hotter than stock, very cheap to set up, spare parts are easy to find, but not everyone wants to add more GM parts to a Mopar than the ones it already came with.

MSD 6 series: More power but more expense; I'd only use this on a high compression, very high RPM, or forced induction build. For a stock type motor, probably overkill.

Mallory: Like an MSD but a lesser known brand. They've been trying to add a few extra features for the price to compete with MSD.

Summit: Actually, it's a Mallory that has been rebadged and sold for less.

So your saying to get the Summit brand? :p

It's a stoker 360 with a pretty mild cam. So? I don't know?

You think I should just get it running with the points first though?

Summit's not a bad choice here, although I'd be tempted to use a HEI-type ignition as it's a good deal cheaper and probably hot enough for your motor. Whether to get it running on the points first or not depends on how much you trust your wiring skills - I'd go straight to the electronic ignition, though if you're a bit more wire-phobic, it certainly wouldn't hurt to fire it up on the points and break it in.

Also, there are so many brands... MSD, Mopar, Mallory, Pertronix, Summit brand. Is there one that is preferred? Does it even really matter? Which brand coil to go with it?

here is my outlook on it...

if your gonna take the car on long trips and cruises then put a stock set up in it with a chrome box. stay away from the orange junk. i have a standard box in my car and it runs very well. i have been slowly taking the msd set up out of my car because i figure if i'm far from home its easier to get stock parts then msd parts.. same goes for special hei dist. and pertronix set ups. no custom parts for me. we have pertronix in jamies dart and it has been flawless but if it fails i'm stuck. guess i could put points in it on the side of the road but thats a pain in the ***. rather change the entire dist or ecu. i've been running a blaster 2 coil with no issues. the FBO set up is just like a stock set up basically. i have atleast two friends that have had those systems eat ecu's and ballast resistors so i'm not too sure how reliable they really are over a standard brand box. fbo says they tweak the curve the dist to your specs but really that is easy to do at home.especially with a new mp dist. they are fully adjustable..

My history with MSD was bad. 2 boxes failed on me and left me high and dry. Stock dist with a chrome ECU is good, put a Mallory/Crane/Summit ECU next to it and just plug in whatever box you want to run. Parallel ignitions, and keep a Mopar electronic dist pick-up in the glove box, now you are fully covered.
Mallory/Crane/Summit all have neat features built into them, starter retard, RPM switches, limiters that MDS charges extra for on the base units. Whatever you go with , the E-coils are very good. No oil, just an epoxy coated transformer looking deal, with a hot spark. I run a Crane PS-91 and an anolog Mallory Hy-fire 5 relic, has not failed me yet.
Mopar dist. can be curved to whatever you want and the total advance can be modified with a file, not an area where a megabuck distributor is worth its price.

because i figure if i'm far from home its easier to get stock parts then msd parts.. same goes for special hei dist.

HEI doesn't need any special parts beyond making a small adapter harness. A stock electronic distributor, an off the shelf HEI module, a couple spade terminals, and you're good to go.

Been running MSD stuff on my 383 daily driver for almost 4 years now.

MSD6AL box, Pro Billet Dist, BlasterII coil.

I run nothing but msd systems on my cars..have NEVER had one issue ith any of them.if you run a Mopar system be sure and carry extra components with you in the trunk cause' sooner or later they're going to fail..

i believe in the factory set up i i have seen so many people setting at the track along the road needing someone to bring them an MSD box or what ever they have.put the stock one in and forget it.next time your in the junk yard take one off and stick it in your tool box.and as far as going fast we have cars running well in to the tens with a crome box.and their cheap i alwas put two in my cars just in case.I can get to them inside of the car and change it in the staging lanes if i have to.just trying to help.

i thought you were talking about the entire aftermarket dist they make.

Nope, just a roll your own version. It would surprise me if the aftermarket ones weren't partially based on OEM hardware though.

-
Back