electronic ignition

-

shafer

Reaction score
what do you guys recomend for an electronic ignition conversion for my 69 dart 318, i was thinking of striping the distributer, wiring ect out of a 73 newer mopar in the salvage yard. i dont like points. recommendations?

what do you guys recomend for an electronic ignition conversion for my 69 dart 318, i was thinking of striping the distributer, wiring ect out of a 73 newer mopar in the salvage yard. i dont like points. recommendations?

If you get it cheap enough go for it! I don't think a Mopar Performance package is that expensive.

Not the Mopar Performance package, which includes a poor-quality Chinese control box and a distributor with an advance curve not suitable for street use (all mechanical advance dumped in all at once just off idle). Me, I like the HEI upgrade .

Not the Mopar Performance package, which includes a poor-quality Chinese control box and a distributor with an advance curve not suitable for street use (all mechanical advance dumped in all at once just off idle). Me, I like the HEI upgrade .

Never tried it so I can't say! Go with your salvage yard plan and maybe a new ECU from the parts store.

I converted my '71 slant 6 Duster to electronic ignition from a mid 80's Dodge pickup. I'd recommend a new wiring harness though. It's only about $20-$25.

2 ways I would go.
1. I like the Mopar Performance kit. Never had any issues with mine.
2. By a 73 up dist (parts store,junk yard). I prefer the parts store,rebuilds are cheap.
Mopar Performance wire harness,and your choice of ECU.

Simple wire in,and your done. Wiring directions can be had here,or found online.

got mine out of the U-PULL IT yard, got the distributor,ignition box, coil, ballast resistor, and as much of the wire harness as possible, for $25, that was over two years ago and it's still working fine

Good diagram......
Really simple connection.
1 wire to the -side of the coil.
1 wire to the keyed (power) side of the ballast.

yeah i'm thinking salvage yard for price and stock look - what is involved with the wiriring?

All my junkyards are dried up with older cars.Wouldnt even waste my time.

For $100.00 you can get all clean,fresh,ready to bolt on.

Remanufactured Dist..$40.00
ECU........................$25.00
Mopar wire Harness...$25.00

i piece mine together usually. its an easy swap.

i have pertronix in jamies car and that has been really reliable..

here is the electronic ign diagram..

ecudia.jpg

I stripped the box,ballast,dist and wireing from a 75 318 truck and threw it on my Dart a long time ago. Was a big improvement over points as it started easier,got bettermileage and power. Was a free upgrade as well cuz the truck was mine,lol!!

The next step up and the one I would do if you could afford it would be a multispark ign like msd,mallory or summit. They make starting so easy,I didnt need a choke on my cop car in - 20 weather,but the mallory unit screwed up after 1 month and I bought fbo after that. It lasted for 4 years until I sold the car and is still going strong 2 years later!

I myself prefer MSD but you said cheap,so that leaves my choice out my buddy installed the Mopar kit on his '70 dart and has been very happy with it...leave the HEI crap for the brand-x guys or others...

if you have the extra cash get the kit from jegs or summit. it comes with everything you will need and it will look way better than what you will get out of the junkyard. plus junkyards around here started putting cars out with no hoods or the hoods permenantly propped up letting the weather in on the electronics you are trying to get whole kit for $225 at summit jegs pretty close to the same you like the stock look on your dart a gm based hei conversion would not look anywhere close to stock. if you want more than factory mopar electronic go with the msd you are probably not gonna rev your 318 that high anyway that you get out of the rpm range of the factory mopar electronic ignition system.

ty for all the imput - went to salvage yard today and grabed distibuter wiring and box out of a volare w/ 318

-
Back