eliminate ballast resistor on 72 wiring?

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Installing MSD 6AL and they want me to tie the red msd wire to the two ballast resistor wires which are brown and blue? Only issue I have is that the ballast resistor on my 72 car has 4 connections. There are actually two brown wires twinned together to one post and a green with red tracer on the other post. On the other end of the resistor there is a dark blue wire which has a small black jumper wire with it and goes to the other terminal on that end? So which do I tie together with the red MSD wire? On another note. I also have the yellow wire going to the one plug which is angled on the starter relay. Which wire do I actually plug on to the other terminal on the starter relay?

Tie the brown wires with the blue ones to bypass the ballast...

Tie the brown wires with the blue ones to bypass the ballast...
Can I eliminate one of the two brown wires that are on the same post together? I am thinking one of them is a source feed and the other continues to the orange box which I eliminated? How do I find the correct one to use to tie to the blue wire? Or am I wrong?

If you want to eliminate the wiring, you need to carefully cut / unwrap the harness, and pull the wiring out which went to the distributor, to the ECU, and to the ballast. Take what's left and hook it together. You can either splice the old coil + wire to all of it and run that wire to the MSD small red, or you can pull it out and run a new one from the splice

There may be several wires "at that splice." The blue "run" comes out of the bulkhead, and supplies several things under the hood, depending on model/ year. You don't want to cut anything loose that "you need."

"Depending" feeds ignition, coil +, alternator field, regulator IGN terminal, electric choke, idle solenoid if used, and smog doo dads on some cars.

MAKE CERTAIN whatever you do, that you pay attention to the MSD destructions. IE you want NOTHING at all hooked to the coil EXCEPT the two MSD wires. Certainly not a tach wire, and certainly not the OEM radio suppression capacitor

If you want to eliminate the wiring, you need to carefully cut / unwrap the harness, and pull the wiring out which went to the distributor, to the ECU, and to the ballast. Take what's left and hook it together. You can either splice the old coil + wire to all of it and run that wire to the MSD small red, or you can pull it out and run a new one from the splice

There may be several wires "at that splice." The blue "run" comes out of the bulkhead, and supplies several things under the hood, depending on model/ year. You don't want to cut anything loose that "you need."

"Depending" feeds ignition, coil +, alternator field, regulator IGN terminal, electric choke, idle solenoid if used, and smog doo dads on some cars.

MAKE CERTAIN whatever you do, that you pay attention to the MSD destructions. IE you want NOTHING at all hooked to the coil EXCEPT the two MSD wires. Certainly not a tach wire, and certainly not the OEM radio suppression capacitor
Why is it so important to destroy radio reception in the vehicle?
Bypassing of signals by proper placement of capacitors is just plain good engineering design. Please explain why interference back into supply voltage is a good idea.

Why is it so important to destroy radio reception in the vehicle?
Bypassing of signals by proper placement of capacitors is just plain good engineering design. Please explain why interference back into supply voltage is a good idea.

You are making an assumption, and it turns out to be incorrect

OP said he was connecting an MSD box. These are capacitive discharge. YOU DO NOT connect ANYTHING to the coil with a cap discharge ignition other than the output from the cap discharge box. That's the way they work, and that's the way they are wired. Adding a radio cap to a cap discharge system is simply going to discharge the ignition pulse from the box right to ground through the radio cap

-
Back