Embarrased that I'm asking

-
Waiting to get off work to go work on it and with the day it's been so far I can not promise I won't Hulk out on the damn thing

I have had success w/tight filters by slipping a flat chisel <or equivalent> between filter and wrench. This keeps wrench from slipping and distributes some of the force to more filter surface area, known as areas you haven't crushed yet. :0 Also handy to have a cheater. (EMT works great).. KD was my favorite wrench of choice but haven't been able to find the ones that work best...on a tight filter, flimsy wrenches always twist sideways at handle pivot..:(

Got the filter off today... After crushing it every which way I ended up gently working a chisel around it with a hammer to break the seal and like magic I got it to budge and it was all easy going after that. Thanks for the help guys!

i worked at an oil change place for 5 years and saw ridiculously tight oil filters from time to time. Here is the normal progression.

Strap wrench (if filter is too tight it will start to crush the can)
channel locks on crushed can
screwdriver through the can

on a 1978 covette pace car that had the original filter (like 20 miles on it in early 90's) we did everything above and in the end the can was completely torn from the base plate. At that time we used an air chisel to run the filter off. It was a messy frustrating afternoon.

Hope this helps.

x2

When all else fails, I use a chisel or screwdriver to dent the base of the filter, then angle the chisel or screwdriver into the dent and tap it counter clockwise with a hammer to turn it off.

-
Back