Emblem black edge paint

-

Robj

Reaction score
Has anybody repainted the flat black paint on the edges of chromed exterior emblems?

I was wondering what would type of paint would adhere the best to the chrome. Any advice would be appreciated.

What type of emblem? I have done this before with good results. My "DART" quarter emblems from my 70, I spray painted the whole emblem in semi gloss, let it dry, then take some paint thinner on an old rag, and carefully wipe the paint from the face of the emblem, careful not to wipe the sides, mine looked like new when I was done!! :glasses7:

Depends on what kind of emblem you are painting. I had a 'cuda340 emblem I painted, I used a model car paint brush to paint the red in the recessed area in the 340 part, then wiped it off the same way being careful not to wipe the red out of the part I painted. Just get the rag damp, it works really good.

use a satin black rustoleum. Sating has the closest finish to stock. What I do is apply bearing grease to the areas i dont want painted with a very fine paint brush. Then shoot it. Once it is dry you wipe the grease away and you have a good clean line

all are good ideas. The way I do this is too clean emblem with 0000 steel wool and then clean it with wax and grease remover. take a 2 inch piece of masking tape and lay out with sticky side up on flat surface and press emblem down on tape. This will seal just the front side of the emblem. use any high quality semi-gloss black paint and fog a base coat on and let flash for 10 or 15 minutes. Give a second coat. Let dry overnight and remove the tape. After tape removal if an edge didn't seal, steel wool will clean up any front edges....

take a 2 inch piece of masking tape and lay out with sticky side up on flat surface and press emblem down on tape. This will seal just the front side of the emblem.

Glad you posted this method. As I was reading through the various techniques, I was wondering why nobody did it this way. Seems the most logical.

-
Back