Emergency brake cable, 8 3/4, does anyone reproduce?

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
I picked up an A body 8.75 when I bought my Dart Lite.
I want to put this rear end in. I need to find a few things first....

I need new emergency brake cables. Are they reproduced by anyone aftermarket?

Anyone got a decent used set?

I bought a set for my 68 dart from O reilly's. They weren't in stock but they had them the next day.

If the old rear is, say, a 7.25" and the cables are good you can use those too.

The existing rear end is 7.25!
Awesome.
Then I will pull them off, clean and grease, and re-use.

THANKS! :cheers:

Yup, I had no problem reusing mine. To remove, slip a hose clamp around the retainer (inside the backing plates) to compress the retainer "fingers". Snap them back into the new backing plates when ready.

I'm about to do the same process, my 7.25 is laying under the car and with only the e-brake cables still attached.

I will take the drums off to expose the brake parts so I can remove the cables for reuse.

One question though, how do I remove the cables where they connect to the front cable on the frame. I see there are some retaining clips on the frame mount, do I remove those and pull the cables through?

One question though, how do I remove the cables where they connect to the front cable on the frame. I see there are some retaining clips on the frame mount, do I remove those and pull the cables through?

Yes, you just pop the retainer clips off the frame mounts.

To remove, slip a hose clamp around the retainer (inside the backing plates) to compress the retainer "fingers". Snap them back into the new backing plates when ready.

good suggestion! Also a 1/2" (IIRC) box wrench will do the trick.

typicaly the e-brake cables are specific to the car, not the type of differential.

Does anyone know offhand how the emergency brake cable is routed on a 67 Dart? The more I look at it the more I think my car has had an axle swap at some point in its life. The cables on the axles now are nowhere near the correct lengths by my figuring unless the routing is really odd. The cable from the driver side is several inches short of the cable from the handle and the passenger side just eludes me. it seems way too long if I just cross it over under the driveshaft and exhaust. Is it supposed to run along the axle to the driver side first or something? A picture would be wonderful if possible.

Edit: May have just found the picture I was looking for on another thread. I guess the cable does run over the axle, just not sure if the bracket is still in my car...

-
Back