Emergency Brake Cable Routing with Frame Connectors

-

one mile

Reaction score
I started installing connectors and want to do it right. Emergency Brake Cables run into them and wonder if there is a better route ? Or weld tubing so they will run through them, but the adjuster hits right into the Drivers side connector. Anyone have thoughts on this ? Thanks.

I moved the cables inward toward transmission. Pretty easy to do. Hardest part is getting the old one out.

siuauto,that sounds good ,do you happen to have any pics ? can't picture the move in my mind..... I am running 1.5 X 3 square tubing. A little Fab work is ok for me marksmopar1

Thanks for the help guys, guess I will just have to jump right in and see how it turns out........

Don't know what car you have, but the cable didn't even come close to interfering on my 73 Dart with 2x3 laying flat.

Attachments

• post.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 2,503
It is a '65 Barracuda, the cable comes out of the transmission cross member on the drivers side, connects to the "Y" cable connector (don't know what you call it) and it angles over right where the sub frame connector runs up to the transmission cross member. Thanks for the info and pic. !

I could take a pic of a 67 tomorrow, a little different but same idea. I just marked where the cable crossed the connectors and drilled a big hole for the cable to go thru, then stuck a tapered pry bar in the hole and gave it a good bend, makes an angled hole.

Holes will be staggered on the frame connector.

Since we are talking emergency brakes.....Is it really an emergency brake or a parking brake? I know in an emergency in can be used but, What was the original intention? I've heard both.

I could take a pic of a 67 tomorrow, a little different but same idea. I just marked where the cable crossed the connectors and drilled a big hole for the cable to go thru, then stuck a tapered pry bar in the hole and gave it a good bend, makes an angled hole.

Holes will be staggered on the frame connector.

That's the way it should be done. You could put grommets in the holes you drill to keep the cables from fraying and rattling. tmm

I just moved mine inboard closer to the trans. And yes the hardest part was getting it out to reroute it. Length was fine.

Here you go:

P1100623.jpg

P1100621.jpg

P1100622.jpg

Thanks Rbob ! 1 pic is worth a thousand words. As I look at your 2nd picture,what I have is the cable stops just as it comes out of the Transmission cross member and hooks into an adjustable bracket. This bracket holds a cable that loops between the 2 rear emergency/parking brake cables that come out of the backing plates from the brake shoe assembly. Mine actually crosses over to the Pass. side down the car at about 45 degrees, running under the Drive shaft to connect to the pass side rear wheel. This 1 can pass between the pass side floorboard and the sub frame connector with no problem. Now that I have seen the pics. of what you did, I can make my plan of attack with a different prospective. Thanks for your suggestions everyone! Tim

Thanks Rbob ! 1 pic is worth a thousand words. As I look at your 2nd picture,what I have is the cable stops just as it comes out of the Transmission cross member and hooks into an adjustable bracket. This bracket holds a cable that loops between the 2 rear emergency/parking brake cables that come out of the backing plates from the brake shoe assembly. Mine actually crosses over to the Pass. side down the car at about 45 degrees, running under the Drive shaft to connect to the pass side rear wheel. This 1 can pass between the pass side floorboard and the sub frame connector with no problem. Now that I have seen the pics. of what you did, I can make my plan of attack with a different prospective. Thanks for your suggestions everyone! Tim
So... what did you end up doing? I'm facing the same exact issue on my 65. That dumb adjuster/splitter/equalizer is right in the middle of the drivers side frame rail connector... I don't really want to cut THAT big of a hole!

For my 64 Barracuda I got a longer park brake cable and housing for the right side brake so it reaches over the axle to the bracket on the left rear. A coule of clips hold it to the rear axle as it crosses. I ran a piece of tubing through the left frame rail connector so a new cable could pass through. A single cable pulls a splitter/equalizer just ahead of the cable mount on the left side. Does away with all of the stuff that crosses under the floorboard, gets it out of conflict with the driveshaft and exhaust and moves it back to the axle. Seems to work quite well.
DSC05717.JPG
DSC05716.JPG
DSC05718.JPG
DSC05719.JPG

Last edited:
20190118_093043.jpg
Installing connectors on my 70 Dart right now. The directions said to remove the cable where it goes thru the frame, which I did. Installing the connector, it does cover the old e brake cable hole. So I will drill a new hole thru the frame to the left and above where it passed thru before. The Y split is way further back on my car. I'll post pics when I get it re located. You can see where it used to come through, right between the 2 bolts that hold the front connector on. It would have ran down the right rail of the connector!

Last edited:
For my 64 Barracuda I got a longer park brake cable and housing for the right side brake so it reaches over the axle to the bracket on the left rear. A coule of clips hold it to the rear axle as it crosses. I ran a piece of tubing through the left frame rail connector so a new cable could pass through. A single cable pulls a splitter/equalizer just ahead of the cable mount on the left side. Does away with all of the stuff that crosses under the floorboard, gets it out of conflict with the driveshaft and exhaust and moves it back to the axle. Seems to work quite well.
View attachment 1715277116 View attachment 1715277117 View attachment 1715277118 View attachment 1715277119
I like this... Where did you find brake cable & hardware? Are there 'kits' with crimp-on cable-ends or something?

Dorman does make a kit with crimp on ends but I just went to the local farm store and got some 3/16" aircraft cable. Then I welded a piece of angle iron with a hole in it on the front end and just cut a piece out of a bolt so I would have a small cylinder and drilled a hole in it, then welded that to the rear end of the cable for the equalizer end. The rear park brake cable came from the local NAPA. I went down there and looked through their cable catalog until I found a picture like what I needed. The one I bought was a little long so I shortened it to fit neatly. NAPA also provided the equalizer bar. Wish I had written the part numbers down so I could provide those but, unfortunately, I didn't. The tubing I put through the frame connector came from the steel section at Home Depot.

-
Back