emergency/parking brake help

-

Sussmad

Reaction score
I have a 70 Dart with drum brakes: First time they checked the parking brake in 3 years at inspection and the handle didn't budge. I starting lubing the assembly under the dash and the exposed cable under the car and am now able to get the handle out 2 inches, enough to click into place and the light to go on but there is no brake pressure being applied. Should I continue trying to free it up or just go for new cables. What would I need for cables, front and rear or is there a middle section as well? Thanks

You should be able to buy a replacement cable (the main one from the cowl to adjuster/equalizer at rear. I got one through Napa.

I think they ar all the same set-up, just different lengs for diff models/years. Front cable puld on the intermediate and that pulls the two back ones. Sounds like the front one is moving OK. I'd disconnect it from the intermediate and check that it is moving freely. The intermediat is just a steel cable. It does have a piece at front passenger side that is held by a j-bolt that needs to be able to slide on the cable. The back cables need to slide inside like the front. They are most likely the real problem and you will at least need to pull the drums to get enough play to even try getting them freed up. Not sure what $ they go for to decide if worth fighting with the old ones.

If the cables should pull and freeze in that position you have a bad day. Brakes locked up, shoes fixed to the drums. stop pulling on the handle or you'll probably break it. Remove the drums and unhook the cables there. Then work on freeing them up or better yet replace them.

-
Back