Emily's '72 Scamp

-

res1vw21

It's only metal
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm at it again (yes I know Tara's Dart isn't finished yet), as some of you know I am in school for paint/body so for the summer quarter we were encouraged to bring in our own project. I thought what a perfect time to bring the scamp in and make it drivable for my sisters senor year in high school. The car isn't perfect but it will be a daily driver for her so I imagine it will get damaged soon enough. This is the first car I painted and looks like it will be the second car as well. I got way too much dirt on the dutchman panel and ran it in a few places, the body work turned out great in my opinion and all the hard work paid of. I am going to reassemble, sand and repaint next quarter. Enjoy some pics, we are swapping in a 4spd slant and changing to a spool mount with disk breaks. The interior will become black.

DSC00390.JPG

DSC00392.JPGr.jpg

DSC00394.JPGr.jpg

DSC00397.JPGr.jpg

DSC00931.JPGr.jpg

DSC00935.JPGr.jpg

DSC00948.JPGr.jpg

DSC00950.JPGr.jpg

DSC00961.JPGr.jpg

DSC00966.JPGr.jpg

some more. I know I ran it and scratched it but that is the 1/4 that I cut and replaced

DSC01032.JPGr.jpg

DSC00941.JPGr.jpg

DSC01055.JPGr.jpg

DSC01056.JPGr.jpg

DSC01063.JPGr.jpg

DSC01075.JPGr.jpg

DSC01076.JPGr.jpg

DSC01078.JPGr.jpg

DSC00990.JPGr.jpg

DSC00993.JPGr.jpg

for your first paint job.If you had used base coat/clear coat,you could have just color sanded the run out,and buffed it.Base coat is hard to put runs in.Also,any time you use a single stage paint,you dont want to use a metallic color,that way you caould still sand and buff the runs out,lol.You see now what happens when you put a run in a metallic singlestage paint.Is it a urethane,or acrylic enamel?

for your first paint job.If you had used base coat/clear coat,you could have just color sanded the run out,and buffed it.Base coat is hard to put runs in.Also,any time you use a single stage paint,you dont want to use a metallic color,that way you caould still sand and buff the runs out,lol.You see now what happens when you put a run in a metallic singlestage paint.Is it a urethane,or acrylic enamel?

It is a urethane, it's the eastwood royal blue. I would have liked to use all ppg but I am not the one funding to car so I really didn't get a choice. I also got to thinking that it was silly painting the doors and fenders off, so I guess it is better to redo it with them on and give the metallic a chance to even out. This single stage has the ability to take a clear and thats the plan when she is redone.

But you need to clear it right after it tacks up a bit.Dont let it dry,and sand it before you clear it.If you do that,it will be the biggest,tiger striped mess you have ever seen(been there,done that already)If it were a solid color,you could let it dry,then block sand it with 1000 grit and clear over it for a super deep look,but it wont look right doing that over a metallic single stage.Trust me,i got over 20 years doing show cars,trying new stuff,Ive about seen/done it all,unless it came out yesturday,lol

But you need to clear it right after it tacks up a bit.Dont let it dry,and sand it before you clear it.If you do that,it will be the biggest,tiger striped mess you have ever seen(been there,done that already)If it were a solid color,you could let it dry,then block sand it with 1000 grit and clear over it for a super deep look,but it wont look right doing that over a metallic single stage.Trust me,i got over 20 years doing show cars,trying new stuff,Ive about seen/done it all,unless it came out yesturday,lol

Thats the plan when I repaint it. I forgot to tack rage the dutchman after I sprayed the trunk and was working too fast The dutchman has lots of dirt under the paint and I waited to long to clear it anyway. Since it has metallic in it wouldn't it be better to reapply it before I cleared it? That way I can fix all the little things and do the doors on the car as well. I think since the top is a solid color I can get away with not respraying it and just taking out the run, before I clear the car. What do you think?

your gonna have to get the imperfections out,and shoot another coat of blue on before you clear it.The solid paint you can sand anb buff out

your gonna have to get the imperfections out,and shoot another coat of blue on before you clear it.The solid paint you can sand anb buff out

Thats what I thought, Thank you for your help. if you see anything else I am doing wrong please don't be afraid to point it out.

I wasnt really trying point out anything you were doing wrong,i just have alot of experience,hope to help somebody else not make the same mistakes i already made.I think youre doing great,you can t expect show results with your first try.Keep up the good work!

Ross (res1vw21) was not happy with his paint job, so after bringing the Scamp home and installing the engine and tranny, he took it back to school and fixed some of the imperfections and reshot a base and then clear. We now have it back home in the garage ahead of the snowstorm that is coming tonight. Now with a clear on it, we should be able to wet sand out all the orange peel and have a real nice surface.

Emily just wants her car back to drive before she goes to college next year.

Mike

PB120611.jpg

PC160258.JPG

PC160263.JPG

PB120604.jpg

It was a good day to wet sand the clearcoat, as snow cancelled school. Kind of scary taking 1200 grit to a nice shiney surface, but the orange peel just has to go.

PC180268.JPG

PC180269.JPG

PC180274.JPG

PC180279.JPG

Doing a great job, keep it up. Toby knows his stuff, I wish I had someone with some experience to give me pointers when I started painting. I have been doing odd and end paint work for about 6 or so years and I still need help. I dont have any formal paint/body training....just the old school of hard knox. Yours sure is looking ALOT nicer than my 3rd paint job! lol

Yet again I am not happy. There is orange peel under the clear because I was trying to get the single stage on with out running it. I managed to not run it but it doesn't look as good as I had hoped. It still looks a lot better then some of the cars I have seen at car shows. This is just the first buff before any swirl mark remover.

PC260284.JPGr.jpg

PC260285.JPGr.jpg

r.jpg

The hubcaps are available for you to buy if you like them so much. We are sticking with the Magnum 500's. But thanks for the input. The B-5 Blue Challenger will be coming home as soon as it is available in the 6 speed manual R/T (hopefully in the spring)

We are! except we are getting the R/T 28M, with track pack, and b5. (28M-classic pack)

More pics to come.

What body school are you going to? I have thought of taking the classes myself, but have no idea where to look here in Washington.

That car looks great, btw. I like the blue with the white top.

j

The hubcaps are available for you to buy if you like them so much. We are sticking with the Magnum 500's. But thanks for the input. The B-5 Blue Challenger will be coming home as soon as it is available in the 6 speed manual R/T (hopefully in the spring)

Haha no no I was just being sarcastic. I'd stick with Magnum's myself too.:-D

Here is a nice before and after shot showing why we wet sand and buff. It has gone from a 10 footer to a 1 footer. :cheers:

We will get some outside shots when the weather gets a little better.

PC180269.JPG

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

-
Back