Emissions Stuff

-

sconut1

Reaction score
Work on my 1974 Valiant continues to get it past inspection......

I need a functioning emission control system to pass. I've got the heated air intake working, the OSAC system working, the Evap system working and a new EGR valve and CCEGR switch installed. What I can't figure out is where the darn vacuum amplifier goes. I have one that looks like new, but can't figure out where it's supposed to be mounted.

Does anyone have a mid 70's 318 car with the emissions stuff intact, or bolted to the car? Especially if you have Califiorna Emmissions? There's another part... some sort of delay solenoid that I need to attach and hook up as well.

I'm good with wiring, and where vacuum lines are supposed to go, how to test it, all that good stuff. I just need to know where to mount this stuff on the motor. Pics are very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

The big round thing? Thought it went on the valve cover pass side. I cannot believe the morons in your country require an antique to pass emissions Where do they expect you to buy parts?

Passenger side (5).JPG
Passenger side (5).JPG
The big round thing? Thought it went on the valve cover pass side. I cannot believe the morons in your country require an antique to pass emissions Where do they expect you to buy parts?
'75 Valiant 318. Just starting to work on mine.

I cannot believe the morons in your country require an antique to pass emissions Where do they expect you to buy parts?
The enviromentalists' objective is to force you to scrap your older car..... ultimately, they don't care about you or your hobbies. In some US states, it goes by how old the car is, not the year. Or in my state (VA), if you show you have spent $*** on fixing emissions stuff, then you are OK to go.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.

Emissions testing in Alberta is not near as bad as my post might make it out to be. Alberta has no emission testing at all. Except for one circumstance..... and I'm that circumstance........

If you bring an car here out of province or out of country, it has to pass a really tough inspection, including emissions. Being that my car is a US car (but ironically, built in Canada), it's subject to this inspection. So that's why I have to get this stuff working. If I bought the car here.... no one would care. Well, except me, cause I'd have $20,000 worth of rust repair to deal with instead.

I digress....

So Woody, is there a bracket or something that Vacuum Amp mount to? I have nothing on my valve cover that the Amp would mount to. I wonder if there's a difference between a '74 and a '75?

More photos everyone :)

For those who care, I don't have a ton of $$ in emissions repairs. Between Rock Auto, and NAPA, almost everything is available to fix up emission control is available except the OSAC valve. The only thing I can't speak for is the Vacuum amp itself. I was given an "almost" new one with the car, and it passed the tests in the manual, so I never looked for one.

'74 is different than what was shown for '75. Here's a picture of my old '74 Dart parts car. 318 car with California emissions. I may have a few of those parts left too, although I'm sure most of them are gone. I have the air cleaner with all of it's working parts. I think I have the vacuum amplifier too.

IMG_3644.JPG

OP, if you don't have one, you need to scare up a service manual. The emissions are a combo of the fuel / carb section and the emissions section in the back. These systems changed in some way almost yearly from 68--76. Unfortunately, I don't believe MyMopar has one for 74, you will likely have to buy it.

But there IS a 73 manual, it might be it's close enough to get you going.

Another link:

Free service manuals

Thanks for posting!

Unfortunately, that's not the Vacuum Amp I'm looking for. I've got one of those too. I see your car as AC, just like mine. That little Vacuum reservoir is for the AC controls. The one I'm referring to is just like the one that Woody posted. Just... I can't find any mount for it on the Valve cover.

I see you have a CCEGR switch on your rad. The white vacuum hose will probably go to the EGR valve. The blue hose from the CCEGR switch should go to your Vacuum amp. Would you mind very much tracing that blue Vacuum hose and letting me know what it connects to?

Many thanks in advance!

Oh Wow!... Never mind...LOL It's right there in your photo! That's AWESOME! I've never seen a Vacuum amp mounted in that spot before. If you look by the muffler on your AC line with the red cap, the Vacuum Amp is mounted at a 4 o'clock position from the muffler.

That's exactly the pic I needed. Thanks so much for posting.

Hey 72BluNBlu, I see your from California. Is your car a California smog car? If so, I might have a few more questions for you...

Yeah sorry I referenced the wrong thing originally, I went back and edited my post. Yes, that '74 Swinger was a California smog car. It was a parts car I bought, stripped, and then scrapped years ago. So, I don't have the car anymore and that's the only picture I have of the engine bay. I do still have the engine because I dumped it into my Duster for awhile before I installed the 340. So, I still have some of the parts. I'd be happy to answer any questions I can, but, I don't know that I'll have all the details you're looking for. Even here in California I don't have to smog any of my cars as they're all older than 1975.

The original of that picture is 3072x2048 though, so, if you need more detail send me a PM because on the original you can zoom in quite a bit more than the little version posted above.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.

Emissions testing in Alberta is not near as bad as my post might make it out to be. Alberta has no emission testing at all. Except for one circumstance..... and I'm that circumstance........

If you bring an car here out of province or out of country, it has to pass a really tough inspection, including emissions. Being that my car is a US car (but ironically, built in Canada), it's subject to this inspection. So that's why I have to get this stuff working. If I bought the car here.... no one would care. Well, except me, cause I'd have $20,000 worth of rust repair to deal with instead.

I digress....

So Woody, is there a bracket or something that Vacuum Amp mount to? I have nothing on my valve cover that the Amp would mount to. I wonder if there's a difference between a '74 and a '75?

More photos everyone :)

For those who care, I don't have a ton of $$ in emissions repairs. Between Rock Auto, and NAPA, almost everything is available to fix up emission control is available except the OSAC valve. The only thing I can't speak for is the Vacuum amp itself. I was given an "almost" new one with the car, and it passed the tests in the manual, so I never looked for one.
sconut1, here's a picture of mine after painting
Valve Covers - Painted.JPG
. There is a bracket on it. Good luck with yours.
Woody

the 76 duster and the 76 volare ( slants) have the amp mounted to the valve cover.

the volare is so much a survivor, but every day I wish to junk all that many lines and extra chit

-
Back