Enclosed Car Trailer Buying Help!

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
ok guys im in the market to start looking at an enclosed car trailer. It will be my full time storage for the 68 as well as all the tools for the track, etc.

im thinking a 20ft x 8.5 but dont know much about options and brands. i dont need a fancy one with built in generator and etc but one with T bars would be nice.

anybody have a source to look online that they have delt with and are reputable? any other info or things i need to know before looking?

thanks!

I would look for a V Nose Front. You will gain some storage and it will use less fuel pulling it. 20 foot might be a little short, you will be better with a 22 or 24 for your stuff. When you store it remove the tires and block it up, it will be harder to steal and the tires will last longer. Put a huge lock on the ball. IMHO

I would look for a V Nose Front. You will gain some storage and it will use less fuel pulling it. 20 foot might be a little short, you will be better with a 22 or 24 for your stuff. When you store it remove the tires and block it up, it will be harder to steal and the tires will last longer. Put a huge lock on the ball. IMHO

yea im used to tire protection here in AZ, and it will be locked in the backyard behind a gate, but i remember your nightmare so i will take your advice on that!

i was thinkin a V nose for the exact reasons you stated, and i was thinkin a 24 for the same thing, but if the dart is 16ft long, give a ft to the rear, thats three ft up front (on a flat nose). That would give me a spot for a winch (never want to use it) and my box, as well as wall space. That said i dont know if the 24 is worth it, but thats why i posted this!

A friend of mine has a 69 Dart drag car in a 20' trailer and it is pretty tight in there. Flat front though.

I just bought a 20 by 8.5 v-nose for my 73 dart. After the car toolbox and cabinets theres not much room at all. I really wish I would have gone bigger. I have a couple pit vehicles that are next to impossible to fit in there with the car. I can't really give you any suggestions out there on where to go but bigger is definitely better in this case.

I just bought a 20 by 8.5 v-nose for my 73 dart. After the car toolbox and cabinets theres not much room at all. I really wish I would have gone bigger. I have a couple pit vehicles that are next to impossible to fit in there with the car. I can't really give you any suggestions out there on where to go but bigger is definitely better in this case.

thanks! sounds like a 24 is the way to go!

now i just need to find one!

We're down to one race car and keeping our 28' enclosed and selling our 24' Haulmark Elite II. It's a 96 and has spent it's life in AZ and it shows. Could use a good buffing for sure. Nothing fancy, but it tows straight and true and just put new tires on it back in February. Pulled the hubs and all the bearing looked great and plenty of brakes still. 5K EZ lube axles, one piece aluminum roof, beaver tail, six floor mounting points, gen door, 3/4 plywood floor sealed and then carpeted. Winch, wide side door. Dent in the rear door, and one on the chrome front corner where the wind blew our gate latch into it while I was moving it :( This is the only pict I have of it handy..

Looking the ad over... upgrade the leaf springs to torsion axles, upgrade the puny 3500lb axles. We went with 5200lb axles on both of our trailers, and on the 28 we went with 16" wheels as their are better trailer tires available. whether you use the trailer or not, you can pretty much count on replacing the tires every two years. The desert just plain beats the crap out of them.... and getting a flat isn't fun. We run 10 ply tires on both of our trailers.

Looking the ad over... upgrade the leaf springs to torsion axles, upgrade the puny 3500lb axles. We went with 5200lb axles on both of our trailers, and on the 28 we went with 16" wheels as their are better trailer tires available. whether you use the trailer or not, you can pretty much count on replacing the tires every two years. The desert just plain beats the crap out of them.... and getting a flat isn't fun. We run 10 ply tires on both of our trailers.

im really big on running car tires with the correct load rating on them, last forever and cost the same!

as for the axles i think i would be hard pressed to have a 3800-4000lbs car in the back. but the bigger axles are always a good investment.

I wouldnt go any smaller than 24. I wish I would have gone bigger. Id sell ya mine if you were closer. I am wanting a big 5th wheel i think.

I wouldnt go any smaller than 24. I wish I would have gone bigger. Id sell ya mine if you were closer. I am wanting a big 5th wheel i think.

a 5th is overkill for me. but yea thats always the case with a forum! if you were only closer lol!

thanks

Bigger axle advantage is the larger bearings. Probably more so in this hell in which we live.

Our 18' open car trailer had 3500lb axles.

Id actually like it back a little but the chute would have to come off.. I carry a big 5'x2.5'x4' tall stainless box on wheels with all my tools and equipment in the nose. Works out pretty good. It doubles as a work bench. Then I just wheel it all into the shop and the trailer is cleaned out..

I use a 20ft for my dart,but I have no 4 wheelers or golf cart,and I pull with a short bed truck,depending if you have pit cars,and your towed truck,v-nose will help with fuel is what ill go with next and a22ft 0r 24 ft,but then ill need a bigger tow truck

I bought a 28ft Vintage last year. Awesome trailer. The thing to think about down the road is resale, more people in 5-10 years will buy a 24ft over a 20ft all day long. And as many have said the extra room is nice.

I bought mine through Dan Fletcher the stock/super stock guy. Just a phenomenal dude to deal with. Answers the phone whenever yah call and being a racer he knows about the stuff you will and won't use. And not pushy one bit.
http://danfletchertrailersales.com

Also, check out Racingjunk.com most of the dealers post there too.

I had two hallmarks and would never buy another. 28 is the perfect size. Watch your Combination weight on the tow vehicle. New laws in Jan. fines are hefty. Screw the V nose more problems then they are worth unless you are going to pie everything you haul. I use the hitch for water tank and a latter to the roof platform.

28 foot also. It gives you room for pit vehicles and cabnets, tool box and whatever else. I don't know if the V nose is that much of a plus on mileage.

Member "Abody" nice Mirada!

The one piece aluminum roof is great, durable and maintenance free.
I've replaced RV Motorhome roofs before, costly and not fun.

-
Back