New enclosed car trailer; back up light ideas

-

Syleng1

Karma is real and Life is short...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I went and bought a new to me trailer- 1 year old and used once. The guy hauled a car from Michigan to Connecticut. realized the trailer was too big and traded it in for a smaller trailer the dealer said.
2019 8-1/2' x 24ft BT Scout fully loaded. 9998 lbs GVW- gives me about 4,500lbs payload.
Now I can take one of the cars, my quads or golf cart with me for a long trip or to the track.

What did you add to your trailer for back up lights. The fenders are not exposed so along the
back edge is all I got.
I will get a rear trailer picture as soon as I can. The exposed trailer rear is approx
4.5" around the back ramp ( sides and top to roof) is what I have to work with.
LED- possibly a few small off road work lights tied to a switch for "ON" and come on in Rev.
Let me see what you have done. Maybe off road bars
on slight angles outward.
S/N: we need a trailer section on this board.
Thanks,
Joe
Trailer 4 07142020.jpg
Trailer 4 inside 07142020.jpg

I don't understand why it doesn't HAVE them............1 year old............... Need photos of rear............

May be it does- it’s got those long thin directional lights. I opened up the box where the front 7way whip goes to and all wires accounted for except yellow which is auxiliary wire and center terminal on the plug. I’ll have to try it out. I picked it up today and had to park it so I could get to clients emergency. It’s at my shop so I went straight home after job. I’ll pull it out tomorrow and double check reverse when I pop the car in it. Very excited. Tows very well empty (70-75mph) got a bit of a sway over that speed. With weight I will have to slow down. Trailer tires hate heat and high speeds. Lol! Don’t ask how I know.

It probably does have them, but they usually only put on the bare minimum and that usually doesn't cut it. I had the same problem with my camper, backing into dark campsites at 11 o'clock at night with a grumpy family in the car is not a fun way to end the day. What I did, and looks like you could do, too; is mount an LED light bar under the rear bumper (in your case the ramp) and tie it into the reverse light lead. There are some pretty low profile ones out there that won't affect your ground clearance too badly, and still throw a TON of light out there.

I have owned 20 enclosed trailers and never had backup lights, why do you even need them? If it is true that they are mandatory now why is it? My 2015 24' trailer does not have them, never saw a need...

I have owned 20 enclosed trailers and never had backup lights, why do you even need them? If it is true that they are mandatory now why is it? My 2015 24' trailer does not have them, never saw a need...
Back up tight at night- hotel parking area or like at my shop I have very specific parking. And no pole lights at night- scares the boogie man away. Lol!

DABD650A-2F93-4061-AD82-C2E022136C94.jpeg
No back up lights- spoke to the dealer and they said reverse lights are optional but not mandatory or FMCSA regulated. Time to add lights.

77A7D4E6-82DC-4CA0-B1FF-FEB105421234.jpeg
So I ended up adding to 13” off road light bars that connect to reverse plus I bought a remote control that controls 4 circuits. 1 is these lights so they can also be used for loading and I’m waiting on 6 LED flush mount side lights To turn on for parking lots (trailer sides) and maybe I’ll add strobes to the back. New technology is crazy now.

-
Back