Enclosed car trailer questions - before I buy.

-

Syleng1

Karma is real and Life is short...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey gang,

Since my 66’ is done and the new garage is not built yet for it.(yes cart before horse situation.)

I’m looking at a car trailer - enclosed for road use and storage.
Here in Connecticut used trailers are more than some new. Like they are gold plated or something. I’m looking at new and there are plenty of manufactures in the Georgia area to choose from- 16hrs away.
I’ve never owned an enclosed car trailer and can save some real money if I drive there to pick up. Again simple box on axles to me.
What are important facts I should be looking for and to stay away from when buying?
Syleng1

Just a look at the price will tell the difference.

I have a US Cargo (made in Indiana) and my brother has USA Cargo (made in Georgia). Two different breeds of cat as they say.

I'm told...that different states have different material and quality requirements for new trailer MFG. Have a buddy that works for an Ohio based trailer reseller, and thats the story i always got when i asked "but why can i get one from down south for $2000 less".

On the actual trailer side of recommendations...go bigger than you think you need if you have a truck to pull it. and a V-nose is nice. Mine is a 22 foot with a rounded nose. I wish it was a 24 foot with a V. The Side trap door is nice also. mine has a standard camper door location on the side, and the rear gate. I can get in and out of the dart with ease (180 lb guy) but my B body, i have to Bo-Duke out the window.

Get the heavier axles. The enclosed trailer is heavier than a flatbed so a lot more of the 7K pound limit is taken up by the trailer itself. Also, balance the tires when you get it. They don't come balanced.

Many things to consider. How often use and distance of travel ? Round top or flat ? I always buy a round top because of rain/snow. Side drivers exit door. You would be glad you did. Yes on upgrade axles, the pair should be 10,000 total, 6 lug so you can run 16'' wheels and 10 ply tires. 16'' gives you a better range of GOOD tires. Look to spend in the $7,000 range.
Yes they hold their value.I paid $4500 for my first trailer.I was putting about 6,000 miles a year on it.20 years later I was offered the same amount from a fellow racer. My current trailer now is 10 years old. It is a Interstate. All this depends on my first question,and your budget.

If you are tall, consider the interior height. I am 6’3” and bought a trailer with a 7’ ceiling (6’6” is standard). It makes a big difference.

Good luck.

Check out you tube for GA/FL built trailer horror stories.

I used to deliver trailer axles from Dexter Mfg. to a trailer maker in Florida. I think their slogan was " if it don't fit caulk it until it does".

I'd want to see it before I commited to buying....lots of junk being built....just the Chinese axles would turn me away.

If you can afford, get a "jump" door on the left side. Make getting in and out of the transported vehicle much easier.

make sure the roof is built well.. friend thought he was getting a good deal on a cheaper new trailer. looked great on paper. talk to him now and he says he should have spent the extra money for the haulmark he was looking at because the cheaper one he bought leaks and they aren't standing behind it..

I bought a Diamond trailer built in southern Georgia . BIGGEST POS I ever owned. Ate tires up and the roof tore apart in less than 3000 miles. And had to take it back to the factory for the warranty on the roof. They wouldn't cover the axels.
Steer clear.

make sure the roof is built well.. friend thought he was getting a good deal on a cheaper new trailer. looked great on paper. talk to him now and he says he should have spent the extra money for the haulmark he was looking at because the cheaper one he bought leaks and they aren't standing behind it..
I also owned a Haulmark. Never had an issue with it.

I have a Doolittle enclosed, lots of miles, and never had a problem.

Budget is the key . You can pull a 22' with a 1/2 ton truck as long as it's a lightweight trailer . If not you need a 3 /4 ton . If it's just for storage and an occasional trip to the shop get the cheapest one available and sell it when you're done . Well built trailers will last a really long time if cared for . cheap ones won't . there's a good trailer made in New Hampshire (nhtrailer) and a good one in Maine but I think the Maine ones are only open . My open trailer is 35 years old and is in good shape .

They are all built in Georgia. That's why they are cheap there.

DOn't get under 24ft. That's the minimum.

Looks at the added features and style. They vary.

Used trailers have often been decked out. Lights, toolboxes, flooring, etc.

You get what you pay for in an enclosed trailer. Be cautious about southern trailers. They build the roof supports ar 24" to save money and that can't hold the weigh of heavy NE snow, roof failure then carries on to the roof of your car.

Wow!
Lots of good opinions and info. I should had added more info when I made the original post, but having never owned an enclosed car trailer; I had no idea on what to ask initially for.

Pull Truck: Dodge 3500 Diesel - best pull truck I've ever owned.
Usage: Mostly storage for car year round, but want to go to Carlisle 2020 with the 66' Barracuda and enclosed trailer so I dont have to detail car 3 times- 1) before I leave 2) when I get there and 3) after I get home.

I plan on about 2000 miles per year.
Tires: I planned on larger tires as I also own a company with a few trailers and anything under 16" 8 lug wheels get too hot and chew up tires. The smaller wheels just cannot handle the tire heat built up cruising at 80 mph for hours on end.
It will be outside most of the year so snow load is also a good thing to take in to consideration. "Round roof." Great point. 24" on center also another thing to look out for.
AXLES: Dexter 5200 lbs axles and springs are my minimum. Nothing made in China.
BRAKES: Min 12" x 2" for me. On all 4 wheels.
NOSE: I like the "V" nose- a tad more storage. You allays need more storage.
LENGTH: I was looking at 24' with the A-bodies they are like 16' and you need room front and back.

Thank you again.
Joe

They are all built in Georgia. That's why they are cheap there.

DOn't get under 24ft. That's the minimum.

Looks at the added features and style. They vary.

Used trailers have often been decked out. Lights, toolboxes, flooring, etc.

I thought they were all built in Indiana, campers inclosed cargo trailers, my buddy drove over to the factory and got a big trailer $6,000 cheaper than in Ohio, the same trailer.

I picked up my Interstate in Kingman AZ at their factory. I think they have several plants in several states.

I thought they were all built in Indiana, campers inclosed cargo trailers, my buddy drove over to the factory and got a big trailer $6,000 cheaper than in Ohio, the same trailer.

I know on the east coast they manufacture many of them in Georgia. When you look at ads with great prices you'll find they lead you to purchase and direct pick up in Georgia

I have a 24’ v-nose built in South Georgia. It was rough around the edges as delivered! Ordered with 5800 lb axles. It was about 4K. Spent another $500 to finish the interior including paint, flooring , carpet half up the sides and decor with e-track and bonnets. 4 Years roughly since and has been solid. Caulked up everything prior to floor treatment and trim around the perimeter. I over winter the fish in it usually as Christmas light staging takes up the garage. Leave the car with a five gallon bucket of charcoal for moisture control in the trailer and has been just fine.

Last edited:
Some folks run power in with a dehumidifier, I find a bucket load of kingsford works just as well. I use it latter to burn some nice tasty meat!

His was a camper in front and a garage in the rear, really a nice trailer.

I have “hauled” it literally all over the southeast and to Carlisle this year. Tracks like a champ and rests the same. With 4’ panels it may not look as sweet on the outside but gets its done with a safe car inside!

-
Back