engine alignment probs

-

Buschi340

Reaction score
guess I know why the TTI headder hits the torsion bar on the left side. The Engine sits not correctly in the mounts I'd say. Or something else is not right. Got those engine mounts for the biscuits. I was wondering that the engine is pretty high in the K-Member that I had to open the holes on the top of the supports to get the biscuits in.
Now that the transmission is in I saw that the Tranny moved to the right and backwards half an inch approx. with its tail. The Tranny is hitting the crossmember on the right side. Looks like the front of the engine is a bit too far to the left so the result is pretty smallhorizontal angle. Front to the left, rear to the right. Front to high in the holes of the K-Member... Fantastic day - I'm a bit confused now asking myself how to fix it. How can I drop the mounts in the K-Member supports because they are angled. And I need to move the complete engine half an inch forward and have to change the position that the engine sits straight in line with the tranny in the car. (hm, wish I could write in german - this is difficult to explain).

Did somebody else make this experience? Guess not, didn't read about it. ....

"Gen 3 Hemi Crate Engines (5.7L, 6.1L, 6.4L) /67-76 A-body / 66-74 B-body / 70-74 E-body applications: From the center of the crankshaft to the top of the K-frame, the correct distance is 5-5/8” for A-bodies (5-7/8” with spool mounts) and 5-3/8” for B&E-bodies (6” with spool mounts). The engine is also offset towards the passenger-side. Measure from the center of the crankshaft to each frame rail, the difference should be 3-1/4” for A-bodies (2-3/8” with spool mounts) and 2-1/2” for B&E-bodies."

So, based on your set up (6.1 with biscuit mounts) your measurements are: From the center of the crankshaft to the top of the K-frame, the correct distance is 5-5/8”. Engine is also offset towards the passenger-side. Measure from the center of the crankshaft to each frame rail, the difference should be 3-1/4”. Tailshaft is 2 - 2.5 degrees down from front of engine. And yes, the engine must be in a strait line from front to back.

I got info from this link: http://www.ttiexhaust.com/Footnotes/Footnotes.htm

thanks for the Info. Seems mine is offset to the other direction. But will measure tomorrow. The don't say anything about moving backwards? Straight line is not given. I'm a bit afraid of grinding bigger holes ( like a big "L" ) in the supports of the k-member to corrcect the line and bring the engine more to the front. This can allow the mounts to move at hard acceleration don't you think?

K-Member is the up to 72 K-Member btw...

thanks for the Info. Seems mine is offset to the other direction. But will measure tomorrow. The don't say anything about moving backwards? Straight line is not given. I'm a bit afraid of grinding bigger holes ( like a big "L" ) in the supports of the k-member to corrcect the line and bring the engine more to the front. This can allow the mounts to move at hard acceleration don't you think?

K-Member is the up to 72 K-Member btw...

Did you use the mounts TTI recommended? If you used their recommend mounts it should put it in the correct location (front-to-back). If you used different mount you will need to find someone else who has put 6.1 in 72 A-body and have them measure. Check this out: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=23383

...Now that the transmission is in I saw that the Tranny moved to the right and backwards half an inch approx. with its tail. The Tranny is hitting the crossmember on the right side. Looks like the front of the engine is a bit too far to the left so the result is pretty smallhorizontal angle. Front to the left, rear to the right. Front to high in the holes of the K-Member... Fantastic day - I'm a bit confused now asking myself how to fix it. How can I drop the mounts in the K-Member supports because they are angled.

Hang in there Buschi, someone who has done this will chime in here soon. Something is not installed correctly. It seems like your mounts are not in correctly, this is the only reason I can think of that would cause your engine to sit at an angle from front to back and cause trans to hit cross member. Re-check directions. I would not think you would need to open up mount hole to make this work. Wish I could write in German to help you. Are these the mounts your using?:

Attachments

• ttimounts1.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 314
hm.... is it possible that the biscuits has to be mounted in a 90 degree angle w/ the studs to the rear and not upright with the stud on top like I did?

Just an idea at 0130 a.m. here...

Okay, so the mount on the right side of the picture should be on the driver side because the longer mount will offset the motor toward the passenger side. The other possible problem could be how you have the biscuit mount bolted to the apdater mount. It looks like you could easily get these in the wrong way if you not careful.

hm.... is it possible that the biscuits has to be mounted in a 90 degree angle w/ the studs to the rear and not upright with the stud on top like I did?

Just an idea at 0130 a.m. here...

Not sure if I understand what your explaining but if you had one of the biscuit mounts turned 90 degrees on one side only it seems that it would cause the problem your experiencing.

hm, to bring the motor in the correct angle, more to the front and more to the right side it seems that I have to cut and reweld the support on the passanger frame and improve the TTI mount on the driver side. So I will disassemble the engine mounts and mount the transmission mount in the correct place to see where the engine should be mounted to have a proper fitment. Damn, it wasn't my plan to rebuild my car arround the engine... That sucks! And why is it only me????

Attachments

• TTI right.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 275
yep, thats exactly the problem I have. Seems Mancini sold me the first edition of the TTI mounts??? WTF is this ???!!! How did the solv it on the passenger side? I have the engine in exactly that position like on the shown picture. Both sides. I'm close to cut the K-member supports and reweld them in a new position. Planned is tomorrow....

-
Back