Engine and header paint

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
What products have you guys used? I know VHT and POR15 seem to make good products. Just wonder what you guys have used with success.

Old school,VHT. Wash the headers before spraying,fingerprints kill.If possible,set in sunlight,an hour or 2.Sets the stage.The trick,run the motor 10-15 minutes at a time.Cycle 2 to 3 times.Let the mill,completly cool off between cycles.Lets the paint,burn into the pores of the metal....

We used Eastons brush on paint for the engine and Por-15 manifold paint on the manis. Not impressed with the POR-15 manifold paint, starting to discolor after maybe 2000 miles....

the black on a header dis-colored more than the silver on a manifold

Attachments

• CIMG1622.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 265
:d

Attachments

• CIMG9843.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 252
  • CIMG9949.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 292
I used Rustoleum black "cast iron grill" spray paint on my headers, been over 6 years they look great, no rust or discoloration anywhere. Infact, the finish has gone from "flat" to "semi-gloss" over this time, not sure why but trust me, it's good stuff. If you do a "search" you will find other similar threads and others have used the grill paint too. :glasses7:

My friend also uses it on his cycle pipes and he has never had any rust or discolor before.

Here is a few pictures of my engine I did in the POR15 Brush on.
It turned out pretty good.

Attachments

• 558585_2516567092195_1793770338_1500443_278017476_n.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 215
  • IMAG0077.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 231
  • IMAG0085.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 216
I have just used the duplie color spray bombs. i think the 550 for the motor and 1200 for the headers. make sure every thing is clean before you spray and with the 1200 the first coat should be a very and i mean very light coat, kind of a echoer coat then spray to cover

A few more....

Attachments

• IMAG0074.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 266
  • IMAG0076.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 248
  • IMAG0115.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 223
Richard and Rani do you have to bake that on the POR15 stuff i like the color. I dont have an oven big nuff to bake on the VHT paint.

No you dont have to bake the paint, just make sure it is supper clean. I picked u a kit from jegs or summit not sure, it came with all the cleaner and primer and paint all in one kit. Took my time and it turned out pretty good.

.If possible,set in sunlight,an hour or 2.Sets the stage.The trick,run the motor 10-15 minutes at a time.Cycle 2 to 3 times.Let the mill,completly cool off between cycles.Lets the paint,burn into the pores of the metal....

This right here is a pro tip. Heat before the spray makes a world of difference.

The middle of last summer I did my race headers with VHT header paint. First they all scuffed down, then they cleaned with a degreaser and since the are Hedman Husler headers they come apart and allow you to fit them in an oven. Followed the instructions on can temp to bake at 350 ?? for 20 minutes then whatever else the directions said. At first I thought they were going to hold up well, but I was disappionted and the paint didn't hold up at all.

For the exhaust manifoldsI used the VHT and like Abodybomber said, let sit in the Southern California sun before applying. After cleaning them I also used Por15 Prep n Ready before spraying. I baked them in the oven in 15 minute intervals before installing them.
About 6 months of daily driving and they still look great.
a3ed64f1.jpg

I like Mopar Performance paint for the engine.
Eastwood factory grey exhaust manifold paint,for manifolds.
Obviously for headers,ceramic coating is best, but VHT works pretty well.
The most important thing here is prep. Clean,Clean,Clean.
After degreasing,I like to spray whatever I'm working on,with brake cleaner.
Let it dry,and paint. Warm conditions,work much better.

-
Back