Engine bay progress on the Scamp

-

johnparts

Slammed 1
Reaction score
Well I've gotten the fenderwells ready for filler, and we began the daunting task of cutting the drip rail off of the fire wall. Oh I'm loving the look but wow has it been a pain the the olde arse. I knew we had to worry about panel seperation so I've been doing 6-8 inches at a time. I don't want to post pictures yet because I want you all to see the finished product not the process ( 2 car garage with a Miller 135 welder it looks bad until it's all grinded down and smoothed) Also the engine plans have changed once again. I am getting a pretty good tax return this year and since this is probably the last car I'm gonna build for a good long while I've decided to go with a Stroked 5.7 Hemi with a Challenger 6-speed Carbed with possibly a 2X4 or a 6 pac set-up. I will post pictures this weekend when I get done with the drip rail and shaving the rest of the firewall.

crappy camera phone pics but you get the idea

firewall.jpg

firewall2.jpg

firewall3.jpg

fenderwell.jpg

fenderwell2.jpg

No filler on it yet either still have some more welding and grinding to do and I don't want to burn the bondo.

Oh and bear in mind no sheet metal tools and a 2 car garage with a kerosene heater in the middle of a chicago winter.

I still have to cut out the wiper motor mount too so that will be smoth as well and we are gonna fab-up a filler piece for the top of the cowl so there is a smooth curve along the whole top of the firewall.

Don't be shy about posting "in progress" pics, we like those. I'm about 200 miles west of you so I know what you mean about the kerosene heater!! Looking good so far.

sorry I posted welding pictures on another forum (LX Forum) and the guys rediculed me for weeks because the welds looked bad (try welding rusted old sheet metal with seam sealer in it and have it look "good") So I get shy about posting that stuff.

dont be shy thats how we all started .Keep it up I love it good job.

Looks good John. Dont let other peoples comments discourage you. My welds are horrible but when they are cleaned up and finished they look great.8)

dont be shy thats how we all started .Keep it up I love it good job.
sad part is I've been doing this kind of work for 15 years I've just never gone this deep before.

If I had a blank check I would have gone to rad rides by troy But I figured I can get the same looks for no money if me and SuperT just put some elbow grease into the stuff.

I always shied away from sheet metal work myself because where ever I worked we had someone who was good at it so I never learned myself and now me and Todd are learning at the same time.

In progress pics are always fun, its called reality.... on th LX site, you just posted on a site where everyone has new cars that dont require welding, most of them probably never even had a welder in their hand before.

Looks great. There is always some one who will claim to be better. Don't worry about it. Your work looks good and you are the only one who really needs to be happy about it.
Wayne

Thanks guys you've made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I can't wait to hear what you all say when it's done.

if you look really close you can see where we welded the bulkhead connector shut too. Wait till you see how I do the wiring on this bad boy it's gonna blow minds looking for where the wires are coming from.

sorry I posted welding pictures on another forum (LX Forum) and the guys rediculed me for weeks because the welds looked bad (try welding rusted old sheet metal with seam sealer in it and have it look "good") So I get shy about posting that stuff.
A crappy LOOKING weld with good penetration is better than a pretty weld that has poor penetration. Huh huh, you said...

-
Back