Engine bracket question

-

74Scamp

Reaction score
So my 360 swap has been sort of a headache along the way and I’m at another obstacle. I had bought some engine brackets from a gentleman and he said they were 340 brackets but would work for my car. I’m using a 72 V8 K frame and the passenger mount sits flush on the k frame but my driver side won’t. I have a pic posted to help show what’s going on. Do the brackets go towards the front of the ears or the rear?Also the engine sits towards the passenger rear corner and doesn’t quite align straight with the k frame mounts. I don’t know if that’s related to my bracket issue or not.

I don’t have any reference as this car was a / 6 prior to the 360. Any help is appreciated.

DA00D39D-D075-4D6D-B4A7-A41AFA3F1D11.jpeg

702A4AA5-A858-4115-A28D-6C3A2D098A94.jpeg

You need a V8 K member don't ya or conversion mounts.

Trans-dapt has mounts as well. If you have the right driver side bracket, I believe it is nothing more than getting the passenger side truck mount, and the correct biscuit mounts and be good to go.

OP did say 72 V-8 K member

For 67-72
340/360 engine bracket sets are the same.
AFAIK
all passenger side SBM engine brackets are the same.Only the driver's side is different between the 340/360 and the 318/273.
You can modify a 318 bracket to fit on a 340/360; the difference is that the ear spacing on the 340s IIRC is wider so you have to space the bracket to fit the ears.
Also when you are done, only three holes will line up.
also, when you get it right both sides will line up perfectly
By your pics it would seem your trans mount is not in the right place.
Is this a manual trans with a scattershield?
If no scattershield , then I would double check the rear mount and crossmember.
Also, the drivers side 340 bracket will sit flush to the ALL ears with no spacers, actually both sides will lol. But the 318 LH bracket will need the one front corner spaced to reach the ear.
In all other dimensions, the brackets will do the same job.
It's hard to see in your pic, but the lug I'm talking about almost appears spaced.

Actually the more I look at the more I see
The P-side biscuit stud is too far to rear/left, and the drivers side is to far to the front/also left. This can't be a cross member issue. I think it has to be the wrong biscuits.
The biscuit anchors only fit one way so you can't put them on upside(*1) down, and the brackets are on the correct side of the ears and I don't think the bracket can be bolted onto the wrong side; so yeah, IMO the biscuits are wrong.
Lessee if we can get a second opinion.

(*1) Well I guess you could but it wouldn't affect the stud placement unless your studs were offset

Last edited:
Sorry for the waiting on a reply. So yes I’m using a V8 k frame. It’s a 904 trans I’m using but it’s not in currently. I was trying to deal with these mounts and getting my headers fitted before going to the transmission.4 I’m pretty certain the biscuits should be correct, I bought Trans Dapt ones for a 360, so unless I was sent the wrong ones from Summit I might be mistaken. Again I without reference I thought the gap in the bracket to ears needed to be filled in so I put washers in. If it’s not right I’ll take them out. The studs are not offset on the biscuits so I’m not fully sure what’s wrong. Right at the moment the only thing I can see to fix the setting into one corner is cutting out some of the k frame slot to let the engine sit as needed but I don’t think that’s the best option. In all honesty I wish I had stuck with the /6 frame and used Schumacher adapters but with them being over a month out for making adapters again and a guy giving me this free V8 k frame I should’ve spent the money for Schumachers and waited.

Ok, looks like difference from the "reference" pic to my nos pic is the year. I believe the reference pic is showing 72 up? And my nos is correct for 69 at least lol. I removed an an engine bracket from my 69 340 and took pics. Sorry for going sideways...

20190924_210933.jpg

20190924_212401.jpg

20190924_212441.jpg

20190924_212508.jpg

Thanks for the reference pics! Those look to be the same as mine but without measuring or doing a side by side then I’m just eye balling it lol but I don’t see a difference from mine.

Awesome I appreciate you doing that. Tomorrow evening I’ll have to go out and measure my brackets to be sure, I had measured them this past weekend in thoughts of fabbing my own brackets but I don’t remember the exact numbers I got.

Thanks for the thanks. Good manners make things easier to do.:thumbsup:
Good luck, keep us posted.
Awesome I appreciate you doing that. Tomorrow evening I’ll have to go out and measure my brackets to be sure, I had measured them this past weekend in thoughts of fabbing my own brackets but I don’t remember the exact numbers I got.

Well if the engine is just hanging on the chain and levellfrom side to side, then just tug on the corner and it should drop right in.....right? unless the pan is hanging up on the K, or the distributor is stuck on the firewall. Put some blocks under the pan, drop the chain a bit, and POOF! it should drop right in.

Unless maybe you bolted the biscuit into the wrong hole,lol. Take a look at the sample pic; post 15 2nd one down. And 4th

Yeah you got the right shorty biscuits
318340mounts-jpg-jpg.jpg
da00d39d-d075-4d6d-b4a7-a41afa3f1d11-jpeg.jpg

Oh fuzz, I see your problem; your p-side bracket is wrong, or it's on upside down!.
You see how your biscuit is waaay to the back?
It should be waaay to the front
I think you gota wrong P-side bracket.
You see these brackets marked 340? That's what you should have; notice how on both brackets, the biscuit mounting holes are on the same forward edge (top in the pic)
As you can see the brackets are different from left to right, and yours appear to be identical.
My best advice is to take them both off lay them out like in the bottom picture, and compare yours to the pics or post a pic.

I just stepped out and had a look at mine; on both sides the biscuit is protruding on the forward edge of the engine brackets. So yeah it, it's either wrong or upside down. The more I look at it the more Ima thinking upside down,lol.
In any case the biscuits should be on the lower end after the install. And both should push the engine to the back.

Last edited:
When I took those pics I had the engine just resting down on the k frame to show where it should be setting to be straight. It does sit down by itself (as seen in the d/s shot but it sits crooked) I guess to be honest I don’t know if that makes a difference here or not. Anyways I’m not sure how the bracket can be backwards or upside down. There’s only one hole for one ear on the rear side so it matches bolt holes. I’ll run outside here soon and confirm what brackets I have.

Sorry for all of the pictures btw I’m just trying to learn the correct things here. That’s how I have the biscuits mounted on the brackets, is that correct or not? *I know I need to remove the washers between the ears and brackets. I do indeed have 340 brackets. So I must have some orientation incorrect? Also does anyone see how the biscuit isn’t sitting quite flush on the d/s bracket, is that normal? I drilled the hole out just a tad so the dimple on the biscuit would have more room to sit into but that didn’t make too much of a difference.

11B728BC-83AA-480C-A381-8219D1261D35.jpeg

FD9326FE-EBA0-46AC-952D-0ABB45722F73.jpeg

D3E9991C-D1D0-4E2C-A5CC-7B271761777F.jpeg

8207C0BE-4870-4A9F-8306-2A9999406C97.jpeg

I don’t want to add confusion to an already confusing subject, but should the motor side of the bracket mount to the inside of the rear boss and front side of the front boss? That would move the mount about 1” forward which is about the distance it is off. I have no idea what mounts there are. I do know I have run stock 340 mounts on a 360 block with no issues, not sure it would be an issue. Like where the red lines are

1D74089F-80FE-45FE-8D2B-EC3AA0FFD64A.jpeg

-
Back