engine build ?,lifter oil galley tube install

-

abodyhotrod

Reaction score
i have two mopar numbers p5249508 and p4120603
one is a drill set and the other is a tube kit to install in the lifter oil galleys. i cant find any info on these parts and need to know what it takes to install.

the reason to install is with hi lift roller cams it prevents the lifter from exposing the oil galley. i dont have that big of a cam but the solid lifters with the correct clearance will bleed off to much oil pressure.

can someone help with this and as well tell me if i am getting this right.. it is a solid roller 576/582 lift cam

The block gets drilled from both sides and the tube gets inserted in with some hammer help. You'll need a peen tool to clearance the lifters. The lifters will not go into there bore with the tube until you use the peen tool.

The peen tool is in a basic description, a long metal rod that gets put into the lifter bore and hammered downwards in order to bend the installed tube so theres room for the lifter.

Did I help or was that confusing?

MoPars Engine books has instructions for this.

If your block needs any machine work I recommend just having the machine shop bush the lifter bores vs the tube though the oil galley as your describing.

thanks rumble i really cant find any info on these things. one part is discontinued thru mopar and the dealer witch is the drill or the peen tool.
the how to hot rod book says very little about this topic other than part numbers and its fairly easy to install but the parts are discontinued witch lead me here.
i now must ask were or who can i get this part from.has anybody actually done this install and do you what to sell the peen kit.

My understanding is the new comp rollers do not need this modification. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Got my stuff from Mancinis. Believe you can get everything directly from them. Have some paitence when your doing it because it is a *****.

i was gonna call them but i couldnt wait. i took it to a machine shop. job is done and it cost about the same as the 148 dollar drill kit.

comp recommends it for solid roller lifters. lifter bore clearance bleeds the oil losing oil pressure.

That is a fix if the lifter bores are too large already. If the bores are that worn, tubing will help oil pressure (if both sides are done), however it may not help with cams getting wiped because of lifter slop. The modification was designed to remove pressurized oiling to the lifter when a roller was used. This redirects it to the mains/rods. It can also be used if you don't run the full body lifter with a lift of more than .580 or so in most blocks and it will stop the bleeding off. It's meant as an oil control mod. Not a correction or repair for the lifter bores. Lifter bore bushings are the right way to fix that, and can be run with solid lifters too. Make sure the cam bearing in #2 and #4 positions line up perfectly on the oil passage for the heads. You will want to make sure enough oil goes up top to drain back onto the lifters, and it's normal for the holes to not line up perfectly.

-
Back