Engine builders

-

mopar head

Reaction score
Hughes billet hold down studs in TF aluminum heads torque spec. ?
nuts call for 30 ft-lbs, but what about the studs?
I`d hate to strip out the threads.
What should be used on the stud threads in the head.
never seize
loc tight
dry
oil
??
thanks

you don't torque studs. You thread it in finger tight, then torque the nut.

you don't torque studs. You thread it in finger tight, then torque the nut.
Thanks, I figured they should be at least snugged up good so when removing nuts the stud stays in place, especially rocker shaft lifting up a stud under pressure, may take out the last few threads? These are my first alum. heads, new to me.

Nope. What it does when you loosen the nut doesn't matter. How it holds when torqued does. That can be affected by torqueing the stud itself it too hard into the threads. You could use blue lock tight depending on where the stud is. But honestly if you're taking it apart - does it matter?

Hughes billet hold down studs in TF aluminum heads torque spec. ?
nuts call for 30 ft-lbs, but what about the studs?
I`d hate to strip out the threads.
What should be used on the stud threads in the head.
never seize
loc tight
dry
oil
??
thanks

Does Hughes have a hold down kit that fits Trick Flow heads? As far as I know their hold down kit has 4 long and 6 short bolts. The TF heads require 10 studs that are all the same length.

Tightening studs in the block can cause distortion, something you don't want. Keep those round holes round.

Nope. What it does when you loosen the nut doesn't matter. How it holds when torqued does. That can be affected by torqueing the stud itself it too hard into the threads. You could use blue lock tight depending on where the stud is. But honestly if you're taking it apart - does it matter?
I had never seize in there, cleaned it out and using lock tight, don`t want them backing out loosening the shafts out loaded. My thinking is once pushrod length is established + preload, I adjust all my adjusters the same distance from the bottom of the rocker and lock them down. Instead of loosening an adjuster to inspect a pushrod or whatever, I just back off the whole shaft assembly, so not to loose adjustment+ preload. Just seems to me the safest way?

Does Hughes have a hold down kit that fits Trick Flow heads? As far as I know their hold down kit has 4 long and 6 short bolts. The TF heads require 10 studs that are all the same length.
NO, I found out the hard way, their kit will require a bunch of machining.#-o. I`m using hughes rockers, or would like to, Who did you use for a hold down kit?
Tightening studs in the block can cause distortion, something you don't want. Keep those round holes round.
alum. head rocker shaft hold down.

NO, I found out the hard way, their kit will require a bunch of machining.#-o. I`m using hughes rockers, or would like to, Who did you use for a hold down kit?

Read around next time bud. Those of us that have gotten are TFs done have posted about this before. Sucks that its not something TF commented on in their manual past use their own stuff.

You are over thinking the stud deal. Just install them finger tight and move on. It doesn't really matter if they come loose when you take the rocker shaft off, just spin them back into place. If you read the TF thread you'll see that people are using either 2.50 or 2.75 long studs. ARP has them in stock and you should be able to get them from Summit.

Attachments

• DSC_8940 (Large).jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 149
Read around next time bud. Those of us that have gotten are TFs done have posted about this before. Sucks that its not something TF commented on in their manual past use their own stuff.
I missed your post, Whose hold down kit did you use?
You are over thinking the stud deal. Just install them finger tight and move on. It doesn't really matter if they come loose when you take the rocker shaft off, just spin them back into place. If you read the TF thread you'll see that people are using either 2.50 or 2.75 long studs. ARP has them in stock and you should be able to get them from Summit.
Gotcha, I`m just concerned about the soft aluminum threads without inserts, studs pulling up.
Hughes rocker shaft kit, the hold down caps are wider than the head pedestal so the nice shims and caps would have to be machined down to use them.
Thanks Guys

I'm running a .690 lift roller cam with my Trick Flow heads and I don't see any problems with the rocker shaft studs. Use a high quality stud from ARP and forget about it. Screw them in, torque the nuts to 35 or 40 ft-lbs and you're ready to go.

I'm running a .690 lift roller cam with my Trick Flow heads and I don't see any problems with the rocker shaft studs. Use a high quality stud from ARP and forget about it. Screw them in, torque the nuts to 35 or 40 ft-lbs and you're ready to go.

If, your alum heads don`t have heli coils in them, I would take the time and trouble to put the longest studs or bolts in the soft alum threads that I could get to work. the more threads the less likely they are to pull out !

-
Back