Engine Colors Need Help

-

1969340dart

Reaction score
I am getting ready to paint my new engine and was wanting to see a picture of a 67 -69 dart with a torquise or blue 340. I just want to see how the colors go together. I know hemi Orange would look good but I understand originally they were the blue color and I woul like to go back original if It looks good to me. Would just like to see a picture of one if possible.So If you have a Black Dart and the engine compartment is black and the engine is blue would you send me a picture or post one here. Also if your car has a set of the polished TTI headers that would be a plus.I am also thinking of getting a set for my Dart.
Thanks

Bobby Dodson [email protected]

Are those year models not supposed to be Chrysler industrial red ?

I have read that some people say they were red and some say Blue! I have seen them both ways in vehicles also. I have seen a few professionally restored and some owner restored cars and most are blue in color. I have searched the internet and find blue and in some cases red. I have been told by many people that blue for a 69 dart 340 is the way they came from the Factory. So I am leaning toward the original factory color,I just want to see a real Black car with the blue engine. I have seen all colors except Black.

The blue looks great with black, but it must be high quality work (over restored). I've seen a lot of blue engines that really contrast nicely with all different engine bays. '69 models of the 340 were absolutely blue. '68's were red, while '70's were orange.

Billy's Motor (Small).JPG

Would these colors also be correct for LA built cars?
I have an LA built 69 Dart 340, and although the engine was repainted orange by a previous owner, I can see what APPEARS to be turquoise under the orange. I suppose it could be blue that has faded from heat/age, but it definately wasn't orange from the factory.
I was all set to paint it turquoise until I read your post. Now I don't know what color it should be.

Any help you can give will be appreciated a great deal.

George

Some early 69 340`s got red paint but most were blue. Some even got painted turquoise but that seems to be isolated to just a couple factories. It may have been a result of simply running out of blue paint at the time.

That document refers to all models, from all plants, for the 1969 model year.

Hey Alaskan TA,
Were did you find that? I searched the "root" site for info on engine colors for a 67, 273CID engine color and found nothing. Where do you guy find this ****? I'm amazed.
So what engine color is right for mine?

keys resized.jpg

Well, I do not know what you mean by "root" site, but that image is in my personal collection and availble in the Library section of one of my websites.

Here is a link to the Library index;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library.shtml

Look in the 1969 TSB section in Chapter 25 if you would like to read all the pages. ;-)

I started the "TSB Project" because it was needed, no one has done this before and made it available for all to view online that I am aware of? I know how much I like to read this kind of stuff, so I made a home for them online and started scanning.

I have had a lot of help along the way, an incredible amount of help. Mopar people are the best people. :)

I hope that answers the question, and stay tuned, more inofrmation is on the way all the time.............

Barry

Barry,
Thanks for all the help.
You can't find this kind of info just anywhere for a Mopar.

George

I knew there was an almost Petty blue in the mix somewhere but never knew exactly where or when. I learned today. Thanks :)

-
Back