Engine compartment color

-

WayneShelton

Reaction score
I understand that Mopars are suppose to be engine color but is that hold true for the outer fender apron area. For the engine bay on my duster is body color the outer area inside the fender area is black. My intentions is not to make a show car, but a nice restoration and under coat for the northwest weather..

Are you talking about the inside of the fender area's where the tires are? If so I believe they were sprayed with a sound proofing material that is black or became black over time.

Riddler

All metal is body color. Do yourself a favor and paint it correctly. If you don't be prepared to catch a lot of grief from the Mopar guys. We need pics.

A restoration should have all metal body color. If it's not a resto, paint it how you want it.

Are you talking about the inside of the fender area's where the tires are? If so I believe they were sprayed with a sound proofing material that is black or became black over time.

Riddler

Yes I am talking about inside the fender area where the tires are. On this car you can tell its black. for there is no other color in on top or beneath the black .

Yes I am talking about inside the fender area where the tires are. On this car you can tell its black. for there is no other color in on top or beneath the black .
Yes undercoated, but ma mopar kept it off the upper A arm bolts, arm, maybe other small areas there. You shold be able to tell where it is undercoated unless PO has cleaned it/redone it??

inner fender blacked out and undercoated.A template was held over the A-rms to prevent undercoating these pieces.Lower frame would be body color and underneath the frame primer.
Just be sloppy like the factory.

Yes undercoated, but ma mopar kept it off the upper A arm bolts, arm, maybe other small areas there. You shold be able to tell where it is undercoated unless PO has cleaned it/redone it??
inner fender blacked out and undercoated.A template was held over the A-rms to prevent undercoating these pieces.Lower frame would be body color and underneath the frame primer.
Just be sloppy like the factory.

Kind of what I was thinking of doing but with out being overly sloppy..

I understand that Mopars are suppose to be engine color but is that hold true for the outer fender apron area. For the engine bay on my duster is body color the outer area inside the fender area is black. My intentions is not to make a show car, but a nice restoration and under coat for the northwest weather..

My dart has the original paint and there is zero black on the car besides the undercarriage. Under the hood is all body color and even inside the wheel wells.

Underside of car would have primer from being dipped at factory???? Right? Then they were either undercoated or just left. They got a little paint just below rocker from overspray. Correct me if wrong.

My dart has the original paint and there is zero black on the car besides the undercarriage. Under the hood is all body color and even inside the wheel wells.
Underside of car would have primer from being dipped at factory???? Right? Then they were either undercoated or just left. They got a little paint just below rocker from overspray. Correct me if wrong.

From every sign that I can see is that on this Duster its just the typical 40+ years of dirt, rust and grim over the original factory E coat. With no sign of the factory plum crazy color in these areas. Will follow up with photos later .. this eve..

If you have undercoat get as much as you can off. Treat anything you see that smells of rust. Reapply the undercoat and let the next 40 years of grime begin. I have to go and blacken under there on the Demon yet. Looks kinda off with white wheel wells. My buddy just told me to drive in the rain and on dirty roads and it would color itself

underneath was just primer and body color overspray.There was no black on the underside of any mopar other than some suspension components unless undercoating option was selected.The wheel wells and trunk extensions were all blacked out with undercoating but some California built cars had their wheel wells painted black.

Last edited:
I know this looks like its in rough shape but from the photo you can see that there is now body color in this area.. just the factory e coat, rust and grim. The car did come from Arizona. As far as I can tell the car hasn't been repainted. and my thought was do to the wet weather in Washington was to go back to the black with undercoating once the rust issues were addressed..

20171204_202208.jpg

Yep. Get in there, remove front bumper mounts, expose the frame. Rent a pressure washer if you don’t have one and pressure wash everything. Then go back and wire wheel everything to metal. Or whatever means you choose to do so. I spray with starting fluid and compressed air to clean the surface. Then I spray with rust inhibitors. Then new undercoat. You can spray that if you like, but it is already black. Very time consuming process....not quite done in first pic. See how water just beads off in second pic after blasting again? That area in the front is paintable after sanding too. I’m sure someone will tell me I’m doing it all wrong...lol

39E0558C-B55E-4383-80C5-00B5F2F0EE13.jpeg

AC801876-C099-43FF-B2B4-3A05235D28B1.jpeg

I say any means you have to remove the oil, grime,.. wipe down with auto body
" wax- oil remover", I have even used laquer thinner,too......(Forget the crap made to "seal" over the rust with...I call BS) clean off rust best you can, wire wheel on drill, wire cup on right angle grinder,kill rust with phosphoric acid solution ( commercial Ospho),,,, spray it with self eteh or epoxy primer, tp coat with a good urethane or enamel ( have fond a cheap way for this is Rustoleum as it has high % of solids).Undercoat over that..... I have even used that $32 large spray can of epoxy primer sold at O Reilly's, works pretty well. BUT There is NO substitute for PRO automotive primers and paints! IMO

I say any means you have to remove the oil, grime,.. wipe down with auto body
" wax- oil remover", I have even used laquer thinner,too......(Forget the crap made to "seal" over the rust with...I call BS) clean off rust best you can, wire wheel on drill, wire cup on right angle grinder,kill rust with phosphoric acid solution ( commercial Ospho),,,, spray it with self eteh or epoxy primer, tp coat with a good urethane or enamel ( have fond a cheap way for this is Rustoleum as it has high % of solids).Undercoat over that..... I have even used that $32 large spray can of epoxy primer sold at O Reilly's, works pretty well. BUT There is NO substitute for PRO automotive primers and paints! IMO

Well I do have access to all the good automotive primers and such since we have a bodyshop.. I'm just trying to do most of it at home to free up space at the shop

-
Back