Engine Compartment Prep

-

dartman59

Reaction score
Hi guys. '71 Dart here. I'm prepping the engine compartment for re-painting prior to dropping in the new 408. Things are mostly in good shape; there's little rust although years of leaking brake fluid caused loss of paint in that area and some bad surface rusting with some minor surface pitting. I'm not looking for platinum resto, but want to make a moderate effort to prep for paint. Here's what I was thinking: wire wheel the loose rust off, apply rust converter, then scuff sand. I want to do something to address the pits, but I'm not sure what would be best. I'm thinking that after the scuff sand I could apply some glazing compound or bondo to the pitted areas, but those areas are heavily contoured and I don't want to turn this into a major project.

Advice would be much appreciated! BTW--the car is B5 Blue, and I will be using single stage paint. Engine compartment only.

Thanks!!

Subscribed! I am doing the same thing and look forward to seeing any advice given to you.
Rod

Only been less than 10 minutes. Be patient.

Figures, I didn't think many on FABO do their own work.

don't half *** it.. blast it.. can rent the compressor and all for not too much then start from there.. prep everything for paint properly.. you'll be a lot happier in the end.

don't half *** it.. blast it.. can rent the compressor and all for not too much then start from there.. prep everything for paint properly.. you'll be a lot happier in the end.
agree, this would be best option, then epoxy, all imperfections can be filled with rage filler, sand and feather, 2k surfacer, sand with 320 and topcoat.
myself, I degrease, then hit surface rust with wire wheel, scuff sand with 220, shoot epoxy, let cure, topcoat. done ! small imperfections don't bother me.

I just sanded with 320 then 600, self etch primed and shot it with John Deere Gloss black. I like the color. Now I need to get it to the body man to make it all black. lol

engine 213.jpg

engine 221.jpg

engine 286.jpg

LOL. Saw more on this today..... Yeah, it has been a very long time.

-
Back