engine compartment

-

70dartks

Reaction score
I was thinking about painting my white engine compartment to satin black!!! The car itself is white with a blue vinyl top, does this sound like a good idea?

Mfgr's started painting engines and surroundings black only to hide the nasty, ie oil leaks etc... It does work if that is your goal. keep in mind that you will loose a lot of light / visability in there too.

You'd better read the "What Irks You" thread...apparently this is a "Hot-Button" item for some of our members...LOL!

Ray

You'd better read the "What Irks You" thread...apparently this is a "Hot-Button" item for some of our members...LOL!

Ray

LOL I thought about that!!

If it is a driver car and the compartment looks like crap, I would say yes.
If it is a nice cruise in car and the compartment looks good, I would leave it white.

Either way it is YOUR car and it could be changed back if another owner wanted to put it back so do as you wish.

Here's one in a gloss 'textured' black...has fiberglass particles in it....tough stuff, easy to clean, and looked great at shows.....Just pay attention to your details......don't do the fender lips (mask them off carefully), or the shock tops & washers (someone on this site will yell at you if you do...me included), or the top over the cowl sill............mask off all the motors and wires, and do a good job. 8)

107_0779.jpg

105_0555.jpg

If you are asking $7700 for the car... paint the compartment black and you won't get $6000

my 2 cents

It's your choice. I like a black engine bay. That's why I painted mine black. If some people don't like it that's too bad. It's you car. I don't plan on selling mine. So I guess losing over a $1000 in value doesn't bother me. lol

Fred B

Funny you guys should mention a loss of value on a black compartment..??

We just sold the car pictured and did great.......Strange how the engine bay drew crowds at shows too......Loss of value may ring true with a concours car or a purist resto, but for cruisers and local show cars, I'll take a 2 tone any day over a bone stock color.........

.....to each his own I guess......I happen to like an engine bay with some dynamics and detail instead of everything the same color.........Kinda like a paint job with no stripes or trim........ 8)

We just sold the car pictured and did great.......Strange how the engine bay drew crowds at shows too......Loss of value may ring true with a concours car or a purist resto, but for cruisers and local show cars, I'll take a 2 tone any day over a bone stock color.........

.....to each his own I guess......I happen to like an engine bay with some dynamics and detail instead of everything the same color.........Kinda like a paint job with no stripes or trim........ 8)
Bravo Pastor . . . . I think the same . . . I will be doing alot of prep work on my car (yellow) and thinkiing of painting it the engine compartment gloss black . . . not to hide . . . I like the black. Like saying don't use chrome or stripes or electronic ignition. My kids will be getting my car, they will have to deal with the color. lol Rog

Painting it anything other than body color is like putting a Hula skirt on the Statue Of Liberty.
And it makes it look like ANY GM car!

Count me in on that. I can't agree with you more. I like mine black. So too everyone that doesn't like it doe's that mean putting on a cowl hood makes it look like a GM? To me it's up to you if you modify your car. You either like it or not.

Fred B

There was a poll on here (I believe it was FABO) that asked the question to paint it black or body color and the overwhelming response was body color. It's like the old saying goes however "It's your car do what you want!"

There was a poll on here (I believe it was FABO) that asked the question to paint it black or body color and the overwhelming response was body color. It's like the old saying goes however "It's your car do what you want!"

But this guy isn't wanting to keep the car, so, how it may look to potential buyers is important.

No matter how nice a Mopar engine compartment looks in black on a non-black car, to me, it's a killer of value. It's like when you see one shoddy item on a car, how many others are lurking. The cockroach theory.

I also agree with the your car, do what you want with it approach.

It strictly depends on what you want to do with a car. If its justfor you and just for fun then ya black that bay !! Now ifyou plan on showing it and hope to win (not peer judged) then the rule of thumb is paint the bay the body color. I have been told by actual judges that they will see a bay that is black... no matter how perfect or nice a car is and mark it down as a negative. Hey.... i blasted lots of bays black.... just depends on what ya want...

-RPM

Excuse me, but "no cockroaches" in my engine bay..........

Again, my car sold above any in it's class that we researched over a full year period across the country.... I'd say it was far more than a bag of cockroaches....the engine bay was done properly in a deep charcoal textured gloss that will far outlast any base/clear in the bay, especially if it's driven and enjoyed regularly....

NOW, if you're talking about a can of flat black sprayed over anything and everything that gets in your WAY, it's another story....we did it right....lots of blood and bruises on the way....proper sanding, cleaning, prep solvents, etc...

.....and if we did another poll, I'll just bet you'd find more guys that either cannot afford to have a body shop paint one color properly, or that don't have the raw time and equipment to do it in one color themselves properly, or that don't have the skills necessary, or an engine lift, etc...etc...etc.....

There are a LOT more guys out there who build, modify, paint & detail, and drive to enjoy than there are purists who do it for a final resale value........and right now, the Resto-Mod A's are fetching FAR higher prices than bone stocks, except for a very few special "numbers" cars........Perhaps it will change....? Who knows........all I know is that I've WIPED THE FLOOR with many a perfect purist car in judged Mopar shows in Central Florida.........Why? Attention to detail......Proper contrast and dynamics in the design.......and the "cockroach", as you call it, drew more attention than perhaps any other detail on the car......it all worked together for a killer combo that brought home the iron every time out.

Nuff said.............Gotta go paint an engine bay. 8)

I kept the top of the inner fenders car color, them black at the bend down. Seems that's where the wrenches do most of their damage anyway!!!! Alot easier to touch up too..

LOL.. GM guys WISH they could paint them body color. Sort of like straight vs. curly hair no?

Tom, you are taking the cockroach theory WAY out of the intended context.

Have fun with it...

And the car in question is "for sale" and wants to know if painting the compartment is a good idea. Your car and his car are on two entire different planets, hell, maybe different solar systems. Not even a comparison.

Paint the thing black since you got the answer you want!

-
Back