Engine detail tricks.

-

cudaspaz

Reaction score
Okay guys.

Can you list some of your best tricks for detailing your engine compartments and what products you use to make it pretty under the hood?

One thing I used this week was some leather /vinyl /rubber protectant on my rubber hoses under the hood and that alone made a drastic improvement.

I painted my M/T valve covers with rattle can wrinkle black paint.
They looked great at first but now seem to be losing their luster and look kinda hazy as if they had collected dust or became dull with heat.

Should I wipe them down with something to make them look better as I have tried a wet rag and it really did not help.

You should really use high heat paint for the valve covers I bought mine from napa and got a high heat baby blue colour the same as the original on my block it cost about 7 or 8$ canadian a can but if you prep properly it will last

I think they have a simi gloss high heat clear spaz That might put the shine back for you.

Beilieve it or not, Harley Davidson sells this stuff for there black wrinkle engines to brighten up the black wrinkle paint. My (now gone) 1200 custom had the black wrinkle paint on the engine andtrans etc...
The product worked excellent.

100_0251.jpg

rumblefish360, what was that product?
C

If I remember right, there was a product from or for HD called pig spit, it was for the black wrinkle finish as well.
hope that helps

If I remember right, there was a product from or for HD called pig spit, it was for the black wrinkle finish as well.
hope that helps

Pig spit, sounds like good stuff ha, ha.

I did use high temp black wrinkle stuff I got from Year-One.

Q-tips work well for cleaning engine compartments, the 8'' ones from a medical supply work nicely and you can use the stick itself with a rag or micro fiber towel to get into very tight spaces

my engine was painted with regular car paint and clear coated, easy to wipe down. I don't care for the wrinkle finish for the fact it is hard to clean.

For cleaning I use the medical Q tips on wood stick and different size foam paint brushed. You can spray them with detail spray or degreaser and get into tight places to remove dust and grime.

for a dirty motor I use a product called S100.It is a bike wash you can get at most motorcycle shops.Just spray it on a cool motor,let sit about 3 min.but dont let it dry.Hose it off till there is no more sudssing.Blow or wipe off the big water and the rest will dry shinny and spot free.I do mine every spring to get the dust off.

Here's a trick I picked up over the years for bare metal parts. Pledge. Spray on, wipe off. Will take care of any minor surface that may have formed since the last time.

well the engine bay on my car is painted and cleared so its a easy wipe off.
The engine is decked all out in chrome accessories and all the hoses are steel braided. sooooo I use this stuff called Holy Cow window cleaner and it is amazing for clean up and its non-toxic as well. I will use some spray wax on the chrome for a nice polish....

-RPM

I use detail spray on alot of my items. I only use microfiber towels as well. Terrycloth towels can actually harm chrome. I painted my intake with cast aluminum paint by VHT so everything just wipes off.

-
Back