Engine Dies on Highway

-

eric22

Reaction score
So I'm driving on the higway cruising when I feel a loss of power in my car in other words I'm giving it gas but it kept on dying out . I pull over to the side and try to start up the car which it will bit it wont stay on, I get towed home on a bed and try starting up the car and it cranks right up and the next day same thing car will start stay on for a few minutes then same thing. I'm really puzzled as to why this is happening any help would be greatly appreciated

Could be simple as a clogged fuel filter. More likely an electrical failure of electronic igntion module or igntion switch. The module is like 17 bucks at autozone and easy to change out. The igntion switch on the other hand can be a pain if it is in the column.

Let it run again till it dies. Then check for fuel and spark.
My bet is the coil or electronic box (if you have one) OR
a partially clogged fuel filter, electric fuel pump motor going bad or something really simple like a plugged fuel tank vent

Tried starting the car today dont see gas going into the carb gonna change the fuel pump also checked the spark getting one but very weak

our '53 was having the same problem a new coil solved it. Check the high and low sides with your multimeter against a known good coil.

If a mechanical fuel pump is sticking you should have heard a knock noise from it recently but could be. Good luck

Check the pick up filter sock in the tank if what you plan doesn't solve the problem. Might be clogged.

It was the Fuel Filter the one I had in there was see through and it had rust so as soon as I changed it cranked right up. :cheers:
Thanks for all the help guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

-
Back