Engine dies when stopping

-

R72Demon

Reaction score
The 318 in my dart dies almost every time I come to a stop or slow down to make a turn. After it stalls its starts back up real hard. What could be the problem.???

Check the float level first. Very easy to do.

Vacuum leak, float, not enough clutch release (if 4 speed car), Poor or worn ignition components.

could be vacuum leak??? What do I check for that? Carb. is a Edelbrock 4 bbl. and the float level is right, it an auto. so clutch release is out. Everything is just about new ignition wise. Also the car is getting horrible gas mileage. So what ever the problem is its causing it to guzzle gas badly!

If it's an Edelbrock Performer series, and it just started doing it out of the clear blue, you could end up pulling your hair out before you find the problem.

It COULD be the float level........starting back up with difficulty seems to point to the float level...................BUT, we had one that did the same thing, and we had to replace it with a Holley to get it to run at an idle in gear. I believe, after over a month of trial and error, that the carb developed a hairline crack somewhere, causing a loss of vacuum....although we never did find it...........just pulled our hair out.

It was BRAND NEW..........probably put about 500 miles on it before it began to act up...........I HOPE yours is just an adjustment. :shock:

The float could also be high, the hard to re-start makes me think this might be the case. When you slow down or turn fuel spills into the intake causing it to flood then die.

Chuck

plugs should be checked for indication of how motors running . Sounds rich to me. Maybe too much fuel pressure?

No power brakes. I checked the float level last night it is right were it should be. I also changed th eplugs last night, the old ones were black!!! The car was running real rich about a week ago, black smoke would leave the tail pipes if it was reved. I tuned the carb. a little last night and now there is no smoke when reved. Drove the car today and it only died once on me.

OK, carb is tuned up on both primarys and secondarys?
Then were down one less thing.
Fuel pressure maintained above 5 psi at all times?
Fuel line size vs HP of engine good?

Then it's a timing issue.

I just had the exact same problem last weekend! The needle seat was stuck and fuel was running everywhere. Do you have see through sight glasses on your float bowls? If so you can check your float level that way. I tapped on the needle adjustment screw with a wooden handle screwdriver several times and it took care of the problem. But there is probably a piece of trash in there causing it to stick.

-
Back