Engine mount angle

-

amazon69

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm starting to think about how and where I put my 360LA into my car ('59 Bristol). I need to make up and weld in the mounts to the chassis. The block has these factory mounts on at present, and when I was looking at them I noticed that there -seems- to be a built in angle of a few degrees. This could be because the rubbers inside the mounts are worn, but they seem ok. I was wondering whether they have a built in angle or whether they are meant to run parallel with the crank etc. If angled I would then need to put my mounts on parallel to the chassis. I'm just starting to get my head round pinion angles, prop angles etc etc so apologies if I'm being daft. Cheers.
mount.jpg
mount02.jpg

Regardless of the included angles in the mounts, insulators etc. What is important is that, after you install it and weld up your mounts, the angle of the crankshaft (same as oil pan rail and trans centerline) is the same as the differential pinion angle with the suspension loaded, unless you have leaf springs in which case I believe you want the pinion to point down a few degrees more. This is because, under load the leaf springs allow it to twist up a little. There is lots of info on the net, some of it is easier to understand than others.

Last edited:
Tremec has an app for ios to check driveline angle.
That Bristol looks awesome,looking forward to the finished project.

The other thing I have done is put a angle finder on the valve cover and set it at 2* then check the intake with the carb off and it should be close to 0*

Just thinking out loud here, but those are 72 and up mounts
The earlier ones are flat and I think they would be way easier to mod into your car

Regardless of the included angles in the mounts, insulators etc. What is important is that, after you install it and weld up your mounts, the angle of the crankshaft (same as oil pan rail and trans centerline) is the same as the differential pinion angle with the suspension loaded, unless you have leaf springs in which case I believe you want the pinion to point up a few degrees more. This is because, under load the leaf springs allow it to twist down a little. There is lots of info on the net, some of it is easier to understand than others.

Opposite. Pinion comes up under accel. You want the pinion shaft and the engine centerline (crank, transmission) parallel under hard acceleration

Hi all,

I'm starting to think about how and where I put my 360LA into my car ('59 Bristol).

Tell me, in the area of 'murican engines swapped into vehicles over there, what IS the probable "most numerous" US engine? I do know that Rovers adopted the Buick / Olds aluminum V8 back then, at what point did the Sunbeam get a Ford? Was that done in your house or mine? I also can't remember, Henley? used Chryslers

Regardless of the included angles in the mounts, insulators etc. What is important is that, after you install it and weld up your mounts, the angle of the crankshaft (same as oil pan rail and trans centerline) is the same as the differential pinion angle with the suspension loaded, unless you have leaf springs in which case I believe you want the pinion to point up a few degrees more. This is because, under load the leaf springs allow it to twist down a little. There is lots of info on the net, some of it is easier to understand than others.
You got ur directions backwards !!

Tell me, in the area of 'murican engines swapped into vehicles over there, what IS the probable "most numerous" US engine? I do know that Rovers adopted the Buick / Olds aluminum V8 back then, at what point did the Sunbeam get a Ford? Was that done in your house or mine? I also can't remember, Henley? used Chryslers

I'm not an expert but I know Jensen and Monteverdi used Mopar engines, TVR used a lot of Ford engines and the Rover V8. Sunbeam in the '60s was a marque under Rootes Group and the Tiger first used the 260 Ford then the 289 which was designed with help from Carroll Shelby. AFAIK American V8s were usually only used in exclusive high-end European cars bought by people who could afford the horrible gas mileage since they didn't have super cheap gas like US.

-
Back