Engine or electrical problems

-

schwinger

1972 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
Having trouble finding this freakn problem with my car. under light load in high or even low gear with rpms low my car starts cutting out and wants to die but in neutral it runs fine and at full acceleration its runs good but then out of nowhere it cuts out worse. its a 318/5spd manual points type ignition, carter 4bbl carb.

Does it idle smooth ? If not cup your hands over the air horn and try to starve it for air. If the idle smoothes out and the rpm goes up, you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

it does idle smooth but ill give that a try. and the points gap ill recheck, its a new distributor too wich i installed last month but ill recheck the gap again

Get a mopar electronic ignition , can be found cheap and will end problems like that . Had a points distributor back in 1970 on my Dart , changed it in 1975 for electronic , best thing ever , no more adjusting/changing points every month .

i switched back to points because i had some weird *** electrical problems, i swaped the original points to electronic and worked out fine for a year then i noticed their was metal shavings in the distributor under teh cap so i bought a new electronic distributor and everythiong started taking a ****. went thru 2 new distributors change alot of parts wires, ballast resistors electronic control module, coils and still cutted out and couldnt even idle so i went back to the points type ignition and started right up and ran great.

...new electronic distributor and everythiong started taking a ****. went thru 2 new distributors change alot of parts wires, ballast resistors electronic control module, coils and still cutted out and couldnt even idle so i went back to the points type ignition and started right up and ran great.
that sounds like crappy grounds on the electrical stuff

what trips me out tho is that it still ran ok with the old electronic distributor even tho their was metal shavings under the cap but i figured i put in a new electronic distributor in and bee on my way but **** hit the fan!

-
Back