Engine rebuild in California

-

Scampin around

Reaction score
Any suggestions? Thinking of a torqstorm super charger with a Gil welding EFI intake. Want to build a motor somewhere that has done slants. Thoughts?

Oh? Don't have a dog in this fight, but who do you think is better?

Might be after an engine at some point in the near future.
Do you know of every shop in california?
Can you atest to every other shops work being inferior?

You don't, we don't he has no experience to base it on.

Imm is one of the best shops in California, thats accurate. Brian is one of the best and more knowledgeable builders on the west coast. That is a fact.
But if you've been around... there are more than one way to skin a cat and some ways work better than others, none are immune, not Brian or any other builder.
In short , don't short the rest of the population of builders their credit, I've seen it done better, it's been done better and it doesn't always make the cover of magazine.

It's just ignorant to make that kind of a statement.

And Abodybomber, I didn't hit the disagree button on you, I responded and you have nothing... so I guess X marks the spot.

Oh? Don't have a dog in this fight, but who do you think is better?

Might be after an engine at some point in the near future.

I build motors. I know quite a few that do, and no one knows of them...just their cars the that run in the 7's-9's depending on who.

This is just advertising, bigger billboard wins. Lol GP are idiots.

hubbard machine in hayward ca 510 537-1885 or gotelli's speed shop so. sf ca 650-589-8616 . both of these shops have doing biz for decades .

Well ok, that is news to me as I assumed you were Joe Citizen on FABO who might have had an opinion based on a great experience with another shop.

No need to bite my nose off, I made it clear my question was in good faith.
Beleive me when i say i wasnt biting your nose off, or trying to. Guess I was too general in my post to let you know without doubt that most of what i was saying was aimed at abodybomber.

Check around for sure. I raced Slants for lots of years doing my own work.Then I wanted to do a professional build. I talked to many well known builders.Some told me flat out NO.Others complained about it not being a cross flow head,bad manifold design,bla bla bla.
Don't even waste you time with shops that do primarily chevy engines.They will try to make it work and run like a small block chevy and be pissed at you because it won't.
The shop I went with the owner sold and retired.But he was a Hemi engine builder and racer.Knew nothing about a Slant but was willing to listen and he made many calls to people in the industry to find out.I know all engines are basic air pumps but the Slant needs a bit of finesse to make 'um run.Just a thought.

I was thinking gotellis since they are like 10 minutes from me.
I would go talk to them, ask a few questions like wether they build a lot of performance drag stuff and things like..
1. Do they use torque plates when they finish hone.
3. Can they accurately measure and mill the decks square and is everything done 'in house'.
3. Serdi or stone seat cutter
4. Do they balance 'in house' as well.
5. Do they have a flow bench

A good indicator youre in a decent machine shop, when yoy walk in...american iron v8 blocks lined up in the waiting area, old faded hotrod posters and wooden framed shots of the burnout box and 60' on the walls of various drag n muscle cars ,Waylon Jennings on the radio, naked chick calanders ,beer signs, parts vendors etc with a guy at the counter that will look you dead in the eyes and explain and listen as to what needs and can be done ,time frame and upfront price.

I would go talk to them, ask a few questions like wether they build a lot of performance drag stuff and things like..
1. Do they use torque plates when they finish hone.
3. Can they accurately measure and mill the decks square and is everything done 'in house'.
3. Serdi or stone seat cutter
4. Do they balance 'in house' as well.
5. Do they have a flow bench

A good indicator youre in a decent machine shop, when yoy walk in...american iron v8 blocks lined up in the waiting area, old faded hotrod posters and wooden framed shots of the burnout box and 60' on the walls of various drag n muscle cars ,Waylon Jennings on the radio, naked chick calanders ,beer signs, parts vendors etc with a guy at the counter that will look you dead in the eyes and explain and listen as to what needs and can be done ,time frame and upfront price.
Actually, yes... How many machinist actually own B.H.J Mopar small and wedge torque plates? down below...
Sounds like my ex boss... No nude chick posters ,doesn't drink, wanna race him ?

Last edited:
well wade's still working hubbard machine in hayward . just had him do the machine work on a rb block n crank . and i drop off two mure for him to square up n bore .

Do you know of every shop in california?
Can you atest to every other shops work being inferior?

You don't, we don't he has no experience to base it on.

Imm is one of the best shops in California, thats accurate. Brian is one of the best and more knowledgeable builders on the west coast. That is a fact.
But if you've been around... there are more than one way to skin a cat and some ways work better than others, none are immune, not Brian or any other builder.
In short , don't short the rest of the population of builders their credit, I've seen it done better, it's been done better and it doesn't always make the cover of magazine.

It's just ignorant to make that kind of a statement.

And Abodybomber, I didn't hit the disagree button on you, I responded and you have nothing... so I guess X marks the spot.
O k ...

Ask the shop if they have a torque plate for a slant. If they do, you know they have done more then one performance slant.
Lol, that would take funding a shop where the owner actually races them.
You might be waiting a long time to build this if that's a must.

Actually, yes... How many machinist actually own B.H.J Mopar small and wedge torque plates? down below...
Sounds like my ex boss... No nude chick posters ,doesn't drink, wanna race him ?

About every 3rd shop I visit.
There is no "can be only one" bs in this hobby my friend... and Brian would be the last guy I'd ask to build a slant if I were asking at all. When the time comes that you finally know enough to see the curve between you and your machinist, you'll undestand.
Btw... the last post of this nature I read stated that Brian knows sb strokers better than anybody else... so go have Doug Dutra build the slant... "there is no body better" right?

-
Back