engine shipping

-
Reaction score
I am considering buying a motor that I seen posted for sale on a mopar web site. The seller is on the east coast. I live in Wisconsin and would need it shipped here. I have not started the process of lining up a shipper, I think shipping by weight would kill me (asking price for motor is$1200) I am in need of advice on shipping this by a responsible carrier and keeping the cost reasonable. I know someone is out there that has done this and could advise Me. Thanx for reading, and I hope I get several responses.

I am considering buying a motor that I seen posted for sale on a mopar web site. The seller is on the east coast. I live in Wisconsin and would need it shipped here. I have not started the process of lining up a shipper, I think shipping by weight would kill me (asking price for motor is$1200) I am in need of advice on shipping this by a responsible carrier and keeping the cost reasonable. I know someone is out there that has done this and could advise Me. Thanx for reading, and I hope I get several responses.
Look into "UShip" , a logistics service that'll find carriers for you, or call around yourself. You will be looking at LTL type carriers, such as ABF, Yellow, UPS Freight, Fed Ex Freight, R&L, etc. You can do terminal to terminal which the seller takes it to the terminal near them and then you pick it up at the receiving terminal. Or you can have the carrier pick it up at the sellers location via liftgate if the seller doesn't have a dock, and you can pick it up (the cheapest option) or have the carrier deliver it to your location via lift gate. Lift gate service adds to the cost of shipping but varies by carrier. Rates are based more on cube, or the space it takes up in a trailer and then weight. uShip | The Online Shipping Marketplace

Last edited:
Also check if Fastenal has stores close to origin and destination.
If on a pallet they will ship from store to store, under name of 3PL Logistics.
Just another possible option.

12many is right has some great recommendations. I've used ABF, Yellow, and another one called Forward Air in the past. Mainly depends on who has a nearby terminal (for both the shipper and receiver) since "terminal to terminal" is ALWAYS the cheapest! I've shipped and received engines, transmissions, and sets of wheels and tires this way without any issues. To keep the cost down, do as MUCH as you can yourself...or have the person on the other end do it (if they are shipping). The freight companies will skid an engine/transmission/etc...but, that's not their specialty and the do charge dearly for it.

So, check craigslist...or local business, someone is ALWAYS giving away skids/pallets. For an engine, I use full sized skids (36x36, 40x48, or 48x48)...not the smaller 1/2 sizes. Pricing is based on size and weight...but, you also don't have to worry about anything hitting the sides of the engines (rememder, LOTS of other stuff will be put on skids next to your engine! Be careful if using ratchet straps and the locations of them. Remember...forklift forks will be sliding INTO the skid, and you do NOT want strap getting cut/snagged/hit. For an engine...I like to get a wooden skid, lag bolting down a "cradle" made of 4x4s (so the oil pan rails sit on top of it), and then put 4 eye-bolts into the tops at each corner (so they are into the thick wood rails/spacers of the skid)...this gives you 4 locations to ratchet strap the engine down to.

Almost forgot...shrink wrap the engine before skidding it! Lowes, U-haul, Homedepot sell small rolls for moving etc.. This will help keep the dust and dirt off the engine during transit. Freight warehouses and trucks are dusty!

Last complete small block I had shipped to me, Washington state to Ohio, I think ran around $320. I took care of the shipping costs from my end and the shipper just had to skid it, drop it off at the freight terminal, and give them the invoice number. I had it about a week later!

Is that the 360 that was for sale???

@toolmanmike was interested in it and got a quote of $200 to ship it to Iowa....

Maybe he can check in here and let you know who quoted it for him...

But in the end he decided to pass, but not for any reason with the engine...

I found fastenal to be the cheapest by a long shot. Cost me $85 from Ohio to Ga

I've used Forward Air pretty much for all of mine. But recently priced Fastenall and they were very competitive. As a shipper, I make sure the engine is well tied down and completely crated.

-
Back