Engine size recommendation

-
If you have a 318, just build the 318. As mentioned on here many times, a well built 318 will do just about everything you want it to.

They can make 400hp with ease, get good milage, sound great and be a lot of fun to drive. A good clean-up on a set of 360 heads with 1.88/1.60 vlaves, good cam(voodoo is my goto hydraulic cam), small 4bbl carb, dual plane intake, headers and the like, you wont be disappointed.

mine is eldelbrock performer intake holly 600 carb, close to 300 hp and gets 20+ mpg on highway. I have small rear end for now so Hp is limited by its ability not to blow up. My old 66 cuda had a close to 400 hp, but blew up rear at track in final round one evening several years ago. I replaced it with 8.75 rear and had no problems until little old man creamed it one day backing out of his driveway. He hit gas instead of brakes..go figure...I like 318 as it can be done up as much as you wish to spend money on it, but trans and rear must match Hp or they will go no matter which engine you use..318 or 360!!!

In the late 70's early 80's before auto overdrive trans came out, many cars had around a 2.45 gear ratio and 28-29 inch tires. With the lock up converters 60 mph be around 1,750 rpm's. Any motor get great mpg at those rpm's.

Those cars went 0 to 60 in 15 seconds also, ha ha ha.

Really thou, full size cars were posting 22 mpg or better @ 55 mph, I recall getting 17 in a 1977 Pontiac and it wasn't tune for mpg.

keep the gears around 2.94 it should be decent and have decent pick up--at some speeds, like 2nd gear @ 70 mph it should be pretty darn quick-until it hits 3rd gear..where the 3.55, even 3.23 are better but the mpg goes down.

In the late 70's early 80's before auto overdrive trans came out, many cars had around a 2.45 gear ratio and 28-29 inch tires. With the lock up converters 60 mph be around 1,750 rpm's. Any motor get great mpg at those rpm's.

Those cars went 0 to 60 in 15 seconds also, ha ha ha.

Really thou, full size cars were posting 22 mpg or better @ 55 mph, I recall getting 17 in a 1977 Pontiac and it wasn't tune for mpg.

keep the gears around 2.94 it should be decent and have decent pick up--at some speeds, like 2nd gear @ 70 mph it should be pretty darn quick-until it hits 3rd gear..where the 3.55, even 3.23 are better but the mpg goes down.

17 mpg on the way to carlisle with a 360 and 2.94 gear and 28" tire.

around 2500rpm at close to 70 mpg.

carlisle09%20585.jpg

Yeah that is cool, I'm at 4,000 plus rpm's @ 70 mph. Its great for short trips and saved me from some speeding tickets cause of how quick the car slows down after letting off the gas. For long hauls it stinks thou.

I think 2.94 should be about it. Yeah many run a 2.45 with overdrive, 3.55 in O.D. but I heard that under 2,200 at speed/under load, its very hard on the rod bearings. In a light car should be ok, this is in heavy suv's.

You know if you went 55 mph you would had gotten 20 mpg. Oh heck, i hope those 55 days never come back. That would stink, it would help electric cars go farther.

If you already have a 318 you might as well use it. The one in my Dutser isn't going to win any dyno records but its a blast to drive on the street. When I keep my foot off the pedal I get over 15 MPG pretty easily.

Sure they can..lol

Did you make enough money to have you buddys build you an engine yet? :sleepy1::sleepy1::sleepy1::sleepy1::sleepy1::sleepy1::sleepy1::sleepy1::sleepy1:

318 will burn less fuel than a 360......... But with the right tuning, the difference will be so small, just the difference in the less efficient bore size.
Any kinda cam worth a hoot, the 360 will burn less than the 318 around town..........

If you want power and economy, get a 4BT. :toothy2:

If you have a 318, just build the 318. As mentioned on here many times, a well built 318 will do just about everything you want it to.

They can make 400hp with ease, get good milage, sound great and be a lot of fun to drive. A good clean-up on a set of 360 heads with 1.88/1.60 vlaves, good cam(voodoo is my goto hydraulic cam), small 4bbl carb, dual plane intake, headers and the like, you wont be disappointed.

Would a setup like this benefit much from hydaulic or solid roller lifter and cam???

If there built to the same specs CR, cam, carb, gear the 318 would have a slight advantage but if built to the same performance level 0-60/ E.T. or whatever the milage would be the same or a little advantage to the 360 since it would be on the lower end of the powerband, since performance doesn't seem to high on the list, just build the 318, 9:1, RV cam, dual exhaust maybe headers 3.23 gears.

-
Back