Engine stalls in gear

-

73dust3r

Reaction score
I have rebuilt this whole 360 and have brand new parts too to bottom I have a rebuilt 904 transmission with a tci 9 inch converter I am finally ready to get her on the road and for some reason every time I put it in drive or reverse it stalls. I can have the engine running perfect for 20 minutes but as soon as I put it in gear it stalls please if anyone has any input please help me.

Can you keep it running with the gas pedal? If not, the torque converter is defective.

Check your voltage to the coil via the ballast resistor. Low voltage will cause this.... Ask me how I know!

6 to 8 volts in gear! I had the same issue and ended up replacing the converter only to find out is was weak spark at idle..... I only had about 3v on the coil

6 to 8 volts in gear! I had the same issue and ended up replacing the converter only to find out is was weak spark at idle..... I only had about 3v on the coil

Well I replaced the battery in the trunk and the alternator isn't exactly working I run the car off a jump starter could that be it

how about telling us some more info on the engine..cam..carb..ignition...how much initial timing is in it...advance curve?

i had the same problem and come to find out one of the tabs, on one of the connectors to ballast was broke off, and it was plugged in backwards causing an extremely weak spark , and it would just die when i put it in gear, just something to check....

well the converter could be defective or just to TIGHT for his app... as stated how big of a cam and what is your combo?? also what do you have your idle set at??

well the converter could be defective or just to TIGHT for his app... as stated how big of a cam and what is your combo?? also what do you have your idle set at??

The idle is set at about 1200 to keep it going and I believe the cam is around a 400 lift I'm not exactly sure I bought it 2 years ago

The idle is set at about 1200 to keep it going and I believe the cam is around a 400 lift I'm not exactly sure I bought it 2 years ago

lobe lift im assuming? so what like 260 @.050?? sounds like you need more timing which will let the idle come down... what are your vacuum readings?

how about telling us some more info on the engine..cam..carb..ignition...how much initial timing is in it...advance curve?

This...

Even the 292/508 sb purple shaft shouldn't NEED to idle at 1200 rpm. Most SB's should be able to idle in the 800-900 range without issue.

Timing first then worry about the other stuff. If you go out and turn the distributor counter-clockwise a bit and it picks up RPM, your initial timing setting isn't right.

Got a vacuum gauge. Hook it up, advance timing at idle, if it picks up vacuum, turn the idle down and do it again. Find the max vacuum point at a constant RPM then back off timing so it's 1" lower than max. If it still starts when hot, you've found your initial timing point.

At 1200 rpm you may have mechanical timing bleeding in and when the RPM drops that timing that was there goes away.

What about carberation ? Could the carb be too big and flooding out when in low rpm I have a Holley 750 double pumper?

Check the idle circuit on the carb.

This...

Even the 292/508 sb purple shaft shouldn't NEED to idle at 1200 rpm. Most SB's should be able to idle in the 800-900 range without issue.

Timing first then worry about the other stuff. If you go out and turn the distributor counter-clockwise a bit and it picks up RPM, your initial timing setting isn't right.

Got a vacuum gauge. Hook it up, advance timing at idle, if it picks up vacuum, turn the idle down and do it again. Find the max vacuum point at a constant RPM then back off timing so it's 1" lower than max. If it still starts when hot, you've found your initial timing point.

At 1200 rpm you may have mechanical timing bleeding in and when the RPM drops that timing that was there goes away.

Until you get the timing set correctly...it will never run correctly..........

Did you fill the converter with transmission fluid before you put it in? Or does the transmission have the correct amount of fluid?

Did you fill the converter with transmission fluid before you put it in? Or does the transmission have the correct amount of fluid?
+1 on this. I thought the same thing But I would check all the other things suggested too. Take it all one step at a time & rule things out. Especially the vacuum readings. I had the same problems but mine was solved with a carb rebuild. Also, Checking Trans fluid should be done in neutral and not park depending on which transmission so verify that also.

the converter will fill itself within seconds of the engine starting....just start the car in neutral and check fluid and fill as necessary...

+1 on this. I thought the same thing But I would check all the other things suggested too. Take it all one step at a time & rule things out. Especially the vacuum readings. I had the same problems but mine was solved with a carb rebuild. Also, Checking Trans fluid should be done in neutral and not park depending on which transmission so verify that also.

It's a 904 trans and I filled it with before installing what should my vacuum read?

-
Back