Engine stalls in gear

-
This...

Even the 292/508 sb purple shaft shouldn't NEED to idle at 1200 rpm. Most SB's should be able to idle in the 800-900 range without issue.

Timing first then worry about the other stuff. If you go out and turn the distributor counter-clockwise a bit and it picks up RPM, your initial timing setting isn't right.

Got a vacuum gauge. Hook it up, advance timing at idle, if it picks up vacuum, turn the idle down and do it again. Find the max vacuum point at a constant RPM then back off timing so it's 1" lower than max. If it still starts when hot, you've found your initial timing point.

At 1200 rpm you may have mechanical timing bleeding in and when the RPM drops that timing that was there goes away.
This sounds like a good start to me.

I have a similar problem. Yesterday I changed the mechanical curve springs to heavier ones and my initial timing dropped, confirming that I was getting a lot of mechanical advance at my 12-1400 rpm idle. My initial dropped to 20 degrees and with my black bushing I have 38 full advance. Still can't idle below 1200 rpm though....

This is my first post so bare with me, will post in welcome thread soon.
Just wanted to say that i had a the same problem with a OOTB Holley carb because it had a 10.5 power valve that i was unaware of. My in gear idle vacuum was around 9lbs. Switched to a 6.5 and the engine cleared right up. Just something to check if you have a new carb?

This is my first post so bare with me, will post in welcome thread soon.
Just wanted to say that i had a the same problem with a OOTB Holley carb because it had a 10.5 power valve that i was unaware of. My in gear idle vacuum was around 9lbs. Switched to a 6.5 and the engine cleared right up. Just something to check if you have a new carb?

It's a new carb I will be switching back to a Holley 650 and hopefully it won't stall anymore. Timing is set to 36 degrees and engine is running perfect only when I shift to drive is when she slows to a stop

what is the stall speed of your converter? Also do you have a big cam? I am assuming it shifts kinda hard into reverse?? or in drive for that matter.

I have had this problem a couple times. The more I increased the idle speed the worse it got. Sounds like your stall speed for your converter is too low. Once you shift into gear you rpms drop, vacuum drops and you stall. I drove like that for a whole summer.....two footed. Turn the idle down a bit and see if you can shift into gear then without stalling. If you can I would say it is converter. I went to a 3000 stall in my coronet and a 3000 in my scamp and the problem was fixed after carb adjustments.

It also doesn't hurt to check the other suggestions as well. Timing especially. Good luck.

ok...you rev to 3000 rpm ...set the timing to 36 degrees....and when it is idling ...read the timing again...and see what you have.

-
Back