Engine stand that won't break the bank or kill me

-
I have two Hein Werner stand that are likely 35 years old....at least. Bought em new.

My best one is the one I built myself in the 70's... .125 wall tubing.

That said Jegs has a a nice stand with a rotator feature... A little above your $150.00 price but close.

I bought the 3 point or 3 wheel type new at a flea market many years before I ever heard of harbor freight. I "aquired" tubing ( worked plant maintenance in a textile mill ) to add the cross piece in front and a gusset in the rear corner. Never put wheels on it. I could have easily "aquired" 4 nice locking casters but... they would only make it taller. I lean it back and drag it to where I want it, it stays there.
Once you have the stand, research mounting the engine to it. Some blocks have weak bolt ears cast off their corners that shouldn't be used. We have seen them broken here. I use all thread with flat washers and nuts. Good luck

Ever ask him WTF happened to the one you loaned him?

I just don't know what to say about that.

I give up. This is not the only bad deal I have had with him. I'm done. He'll never get help/borrow anything else from me. I told his brother the other day, if he can live with it, I can live without it.

I had a pair of the 6 ton stands that were recalled so had to go to hf anyway. Got the 2000lb engine stand for $75 after the refund and 20% coupon. It is sturdy but still a bit of a kit. They weld the flange on the wrong end of the tube on top, but that can be corrected. It’s wrong in the pics online too. Pretty sure this one won’t tip over.

I dug this pic up from an old post, but I have my block mounted thusly with 3/8 bolts threaded in the holes at 11 and 1 o'clock and nuts and bolts in the through holes on the corners next to the dowels. Is this the "accepted" way? I don't want to shear something off when I turn it over. I'm half tempted to weld up a spider that uses all the holes but I have better things to do.
part_1483921893670_img_20170108_175420-jpg.jpg

I dug this pic up from an old post, but I have my block mounted thusly with 3/8 bolts threaded in the holes at 11 and 1 o'clock and nuts and bolts in the through holes on the corners next to the dowels. Is this the "accepted" way? I don't want to shear something off when I turn it over. I'm half tempted to weld up a spider that uses all the holes but I have better things to do.
View attachment 1715534315

Opinions will vary but the original 340 to my car has been on a stand like that since 1985ish.... Just did another one that way...

JW

Be careful about HFT stuff. I use to work there at the corp office. Lot of stuff inst the best. Look for a used one. Most likely someone only going to use a engine stand once. Maybe you be lucky and get the engine with it. Since the person gives up after taking them out of the car.

-
Back