Engine stand that won't break the bank or kill me

-

gzig5

Reaction score
I need a stand to mount my 340 on for rebuild. Reading the reviews on some of these is down right scary. I'd like to keep the cost under $150. Was looking at a couple on Amazon and the bib HF one. Anyone have one in that range that can be recommended? I'm not afraid of having to modify or improve something either. Leaning towards the HF one because I think I can use the 20% off coupon and it looks pretty beefy. Being sturdy is one part but I want to be able to rotate the motor without fear of tipping it over. I forgot how heavy these motors are fully dressed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A54H71G/?tag=fabo03-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004R900GO/?tag=fabo03-20
2000 lbs. Capacity Foldable Engine Stand

I bought mine used for 20 bucks it works fine its similar to the 2nd one you posted from Amazon. Like said check Amazon and Facebook marketplace hopefully you will find a good deal.

20200422_201648.jpg

As above, or buy a Horrid Freight and beef it a little. Can you weld? Even if not you could make bolt on gussets and it would do OK

I have the one from HF, it's a really solid unit. I wouldn't hesitate to use it at all. I found mine for $20 at a yard sale which of course was a steal.

I have a couple of the Harbor Freight ones. No problems so far, and I have had an engine sitting on one for at least 15 years. I did take a 4X4 and lay it across the legs, then cut a 2X4 to hold the front of the motor up, just so the weight won't be all on the back.

I bought one from harbor freight and it was crooked, I couldn't get it to sit on all four wheels evenly. That and they must have made it for someone well over 6 feet tall.

I ended up welding it and got it to sit level and then I cut several inches off the back support arm so now it sets the engine way lower and I can work comfortable.

Out of the box they are not really good, but if you can weld and customize it a bit..... perfect

Clist or FB Marketplace is your friend. Yep, I have all Chinesiums I suppose. They will hold a BBF and they are a tank. Of I probably jinxed you.....

JW

Here is one I got at a swap meet for $25.00
Works fine for small blocks.
20180210_181255.jpg

Here is another heavy duty one that I got from a Craigslist ad for $50.00

This one is strong enough for the Big Blocks.
20200513_115403.jpg

I have two tri pods that I won't use. (I didn't buy either one) They'll hold an engine up ok, but I've come too close to turning one over when trying to move it.

I have two tri pods that I won't use. (I didn't buy either one) They'll hold an engine up ok, but I've come too close to turning one over when trying to move it.
Yes, the 3 wheel ones are very dangerous.

Look on craigslist usually a few on there used once.
CL has been a desert nearby and only one or two within a 45 minute drive with best price of $50. So not much going on there for a while. I may try FB but I don't have an account and don't want one.

As above, or buy a Horrid Freight and beef it a little. Can you weld?
The jury is out, but my position is that I'm a capable welder. I can also drive a metal lathe and milling machine so creating enhancements is within the realm of possibility.

I don't want a tripod. My floors are too uneven. Unless something shows up soon used, I think I'm going for the HF one. I've used and improved several of their machines in the past. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

I have three. Two are harbor freight. One is vintage HF and is made in taiwan, very good quality. The second is made in China.....crap. Only use the China one to set and engine on to store it.
My main stand is one I built and its what I use when building engines. I has two front legs that splay out and has a big footprint. It also has a ball bearing head and you can spin an engine over with hardly any effort. I once had just a shortblock with crank on it and I spun it as fast as I could over and over. Its just super smooth. A full dressed 340 can be spun over with one hand. Its got a locking pawl that will lock in many indexing holes so the engine can be locked in just about any angle.
I can get some pics if your interested.

Do you have a lathe? If so you can easily make a bearing head for retrofiting or building your own stand. I turned the shaft for mine on my lathe. Used the indexing vise for my mill to drill the holes in the lock plate.

Last edited:
CL has been a desert nearby and only one or two within a 45 minute drive with best price of $50. So not much going on there for a while. I may try FB but I don't have an account and don't want one.

The jury is out, but my position is that I'm a capable welder. I can also drive a metal lathe and milling machine so creating enhancements is within the realm of possibility.

I don't want a tripod. My floors are too uneven. Unless something shows up soon used, I think I'm going for the HF one. I've used and improved several of their machines in the past. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

There are three price point stands at HF. About 2 weeks ago I bought the most expensive one, with 4 wheels and an H frame. I had a 20% off coupon and it made the cost 108 bucks.

The stand is more than sturdy for anything, I low enough to work with and was worth every penny.

I can fab anything I want, but sometimes it’s just not worth doing yourself. For the hundred bucks it costs I’m not spending any time doing that.

Do you have a lathe? If so you can easily make a bearing head for retrofiting or building your own stand. I turned the shaft for mine on my lathe. Used the indexing vise for my mill to drill the holes in the lock plate.

I've got a couple lathes and milling machines, welders, yada yada. I actually had to sell two lathes, surface grinder, metal shaper, Miller Dialarc HF, and a milling machine among other things to get my Cuda in the garage, I still have three lathes and two mills, though one is a little one. The build you described is what I am shooting for, just looking for a good starting point. The material I have on hand is too small. by the time you buy a bunch of 2-3" square tube and casters, you are at $100 so starting with a HF or other one is worth the time to modify it, if you start with a good base.

I can fab anything I want, but sometimes it’s just not worth doing yourself. For the hundred bucks it costs I’m not spending any time doing that.
That's what I'm talking about. I'm OK with a kit but I want a stable design to work off of and I can improve the head or whatever.

Like many on here I weld and fabricate for a living but simply put the HF one is so cheap it was not worth my time and material to make my own. I have had mine for years and it has morphed many times, at one point even used it for motorcycles. Get one and make it into what ever you need. They are a great platform

I need a stand to mount my 340 on for rebuild. Reading the reviews on some of these is down right scary. I'd like to keep the cost under $150. Was looking at a couple on Amazon and the bib HF one. Anyone have one in that range that can be recommended? I'm not afraid of having to modify or improve something either. Leaning towards the HF one because I think I can use the 20% off coupon and it looks pretty beefy. Being sturdy is one part but I want to be able to rotate the motor without fear of tipping it over. I forgot how heavy these motors are fully dressed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A54H71G/?tag=fabo03-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004R900GO/?tag=fabo03-20
2000 lbs. Capacity Foldable Engine Stand

I have that 2k lb HF stand. It’s super solid, very stable and has been holding up the 318 for my Dart for more years than I’d like to admit. It rolls around the shop great too, unlike those old 3 wheeler types that want to dump over if you hit a crack in the concrete.

I have the Harbor Freight model. It is very stout and holds the engine up in the nose which is what I like. All I'll say about any of them is DO NOT buy a three wheel engine stand. If I have to explain why, then find a new hobby.

Yeah, what RRR said. Three wheel stands are a quick trip to the ER. Do not buy.

I got a 4 wheeler, easy enough to make a 3 wheeler a 4 with 1 piece of square tube and another wheel. I always found Mopars dont seem to bolt up nicely to the universal mounts. Am I doing it wrong? I got the stroker on it now and I use a scissor jack on the front 2 wheel cross member to make it more rigid. I should tack weld the bottom onto the crossmember. Those scissor jacks are scary wobbly but are great to level things out. My old mechanic friend had an aircraft one that had a geared crank on the end and he had a fully dressed Lincoln V-12 on it, huge motor.

Last edited:
I have the earlier (non-foldable) version heavy duty HF stand you posted.
It's been great.

I also have the lighter single lower member version it a 5.9 makes it bow and creak.
Not a super comfortable feeling.

-
Back