Engine starts but quits when key released

-

SCATMAN

Reaction score
I've got a strange one. My 73 Dart has a 440 and MSD 6A ignition. Up till today it started no problem. I was tracing some wires for my back up lights back to front and have gotten them working off the neutral safety switch. The old switch was disconnected and the relay was grounded to start. It seems like the power to the ignition is shut off after I release the key after the engine fires. Keep in mind that the existing wiring in this car is a bit of a rats nest from previous owners and there could be poor corrections anywhere. has anyone run across this problem and maybe have some trouble shoot ideas. This is my first post, but I have already benefitted from other s on the site. Great stuff

Dual Ballast resistor! toolmanmike

Not sure if I have a resistor or not. I will have a look. Is there any specifc locations they are usually mounted?

on the firewall,drivers side.ceramic block with 4 wires attached,yours should have a dual.

I belive running a 6al MSD box eliminates any ballist(at least on mine)so I,m gonna say trace power coming in and out of your ignition,could be a bad connection in the block at firewall?

I've looked inside and out for the ballast resistor and hoped I could find it because the symptoms are exactly what it would do. Unfortunatly no luck.
If the MSD can eliminate the resistor then I will trace wires next. Maybe a resistor wire is in line somewhere. Could the MSD itself cause these symptoms?

Hook up your coil directly to the battery and see if it keeps running when the key is in the run position. If it runs This will eliminate a coil problem and then you can check if you are getting voltage in the run position. Mine was in the wiring. Bought a new wiring harness, hooked it up, and the problem was there. FInally traced where power should be running and found that when the new splice to the voltage regulator was spiced in they spiced the nwire on the coating rather than the wire. Fixed that and works great now.

Sorry, I blasted off with a diagnosis and didn't read your original post about the MSD and the neutral safety switch wiring repairs done. toolmanmike

I would redo the connections for peace of mind. Once it's done then you know it's right. Good luck finding that gremlin.

Thanks for all the help. Spent a couple hours tracing wires and found the power wire to the MSD had come apart under the tape job on the harness. soldered it up and she fired right up.

Hook up your coil directly to the battery and see if it keeps running when the key is in the run position. If it runs This will eliminate a coil problem

You don't ever want to do this if you have an MSD box, you will burn up the box. Go to MSD's web site and they should have a trouble shooting section. Always check with MSD first.

Glad you found the problem.

-
Back