Engine, Trans., and Rear Help

-

msarni1

Reaction score
Hey Guys I need a little help!
I have a 67 Barracuda I did a frame up resto that will be done next week.
I am not a big gear head, but I like power and speed. The car will be mostly a street car back and forth to work and hit the local cruz night.
I am thinking of a 340 or a 360.

Do you guys have any good suggestions on the engine trans and rear?

Thanks

A 360 would be cheaper and provide more torque, max power a few hundred RPM's less than a 340. Max HP levels are near identical.

Is there a HP power level you wish to achieve? Like, so you can say "I have *** HP!"

What gear ratio and/or cruise RPM can you live with?

Do you like a auto trans or a 4spd to drive?

Rear end size, AKA 8-1/4 or a 8-3/4 has a big price difference. The smaller sized rear can still hold a good amount of power while the larger one can hold copious amounts. Do you need to spend a lot for a rear that will never see the half of it's potential?

From these questions, your answers will direct me to some answers.

Otherwise, you'll just get 100 opinions, 33% will make no sense and 50% will be a waste of money. Something easy to spend on the internet with bologna advice.

A 360 would be cheaper and provide more torque, max power a few hundred RPM's less than a 340. Max HP levels are near identical.

Is there a HP power level you wish to achieve? Like, so you can say "I have *** HP!"

What gear ratio and/or cruise RPM can you live with?

Do you like a auto trans or a 4spd to drive?

Rear end size, AKA 8-1/4 or a 8-3/4 has a big price difference. The smaller sized rear can still hold a good amount of power while the larger one can hold copious amounts. Do you need to spend a lot for a rear that will never see the half of it's potential?

From these questions, your answers will direct me to some answers.

Otherwise, you'll just get 100 opinions, 33% will make no sense and 50% will be a waste of money. Something easy to spend on the internet with bologna advice.

.................Very well put rumble......................kim.........

Rear end, do a 66-70 B body 8.75, move perches in 1/2 inch each side and get BBP wheels with correct backspace. Cheaper in the long run than an A body 8.75 and swapping it to BBP, iIf you decide to go that way. Plus, if you go with the later front disc set up, you've got BBP in rear already. Running stock wheels you're stuck with small bolt pattern stuff.

Like rumble said, either a 340 or 360 will work well. 360's are usually a bit less money and capable of good HP. Have an HP level in mind and there are a bunch of different build scenarios to get you there. A 360 with 350HP is a pretty mild build and capable of 12 second time slips in a well thought out car.

Auto trans? Run a 904 and build it with good parts. They are capable of holding 500+ hp and less drag than the big brother 727. Converter is KEY to a good running auto combination.

It will save you time and money to have a goal in mind rather than piecemeal and change your goals. Changing at every turn, you'll buy a bunch of stuff then have to buy other stuff when you change again.

The cool thing about the 8 3/4 rear is you can swap ratios easy in a couple of hours. Sure it costs more money and then you need to buy two 3rd members but then you can use a 4.10--4.56 everyday and if you want to go on a long road trip, stick 3.23 or 2.94 in it.

With the 8 1/4 you need special tools and lots of skill to change ratios.

As for engines, well everybody has a 360, the 340's aren't as common and you can brag about having an high rpm 340...true with gears around 3.23 the 360 will pull it better over the 340.

If you run a 4.56 gear and 4,000 stall, I would bet on the 340 cause it can rev higher can out do a 360 if built right

put a 360 / 904 combo in it, with the money saved ........buy a 340 pie tin to go on the air cleaner....99.999999999999% can not tell the difference...

I Have a 8-3/4 Rear I was thinking 3.55 gears, just fighting with the 340 or 360 not sure on stroking it or not.
also I planned on a 727 trans.

Just trying on getting some others wish list.

Look at my post father down the line if your car is a colunm shifted auto,you will run into linkage problems with the 727.Just something to think about.
Tim

Do you have a trans? A 904 would be a few pounds lighter and a 10th or 2 quicker. A used one of unknown quality would be better off being rebuilt and up to par for 450 hp or better.

A 360 & trans can be found inexpensively. Even our island junk yards will have them around. More so in the Magnum flavor. Time for a trip down Rt. 112!

What size tire do you have/want to run? This helps zero in on a cruise RPM. From there, a cam and combo can be entertained.

When ya look on the sidewall of the tire, it'll say 215/70/14 for example or it may be a number set like 33 X 10. LOL let us know.

If you can persuade me, i have a 418" 340 x i might be persuaded into selling . . . .

Full roller, 340 4 blt block.... best of everything as always. . . .

Always take the 340 over the 360 if you are contemplating stroking, bigger bore, different breathing characteristics between the 2 and becareful who you listen to about cams for strokers, totally different than building a 340 or 360.....

Don't be part of the slower group

stay away from magnum stuff if you want real power, and what is power to you, everyone has a different idea of power, my idea of power is probably different than everyone on this board.

Leave the rear you have, and trans...... I don't have any luck with any local builders of my trans, i have blown up everyones twice... I use Martin Saine and A&A, not 1 issue with either one of those guys...

-
Back