engine will not turn over

-

Bob B

Reaction score
Was driving down the highway yesterday when the engine sort of lost power and stalled. Pulled over turned the key and it tried to fire up, stopped for a moment then tried again and nothing. I have lights but aside from that nothing. The car is a 69 gts 383 4sd which just came out from a 3 year restoration. I should mention the motor has ran for a total of about 1 hr. What could be the possibilities, thanks Bob.

If it doesn't even turn over now, I would check to see if motor is free by turning crankshaft with socket.....If it is bound up it isn't going anywhere

choke closed? no fuel? no spark?
EDIT: I mis-read your post - no NOTHING when you hit the key? click clicks? rrr rrr from the motor? it sounds like you've seized it.... yikes

Any clicking for the starter or absolutely nothing. Also do the lights dim when trying to crank? Might be a bad engine ground from the batt to the engine just had that on a w150 I put together, I put the ground cable on a painted part of the block.

Did it sound like it was losing electrical power? Maybe just not charging? Does it have a points or electronic ignition system? Did you have normal temp and oil pressure readings?

Stick or automatic?

Might be neutral switch problems

Starter relay must be grounded

As above do headlight dim when "twisting" the key to start?

you know how to jumper the relay? Jumper across the two large exposed terminals. You can even use a quarter. Be certain the gearbox is in park or neutral!!

All is good guy`s, it was the starter relay having a short spot in it. Just gave it a couple of light taps with the end of a screw driver and away she went. I also took the advice and brought down the paint under any grounds, thanks Bob.

-
Back